9 lb Swarm

Thread: 9 lb Swarm

Default 9 lb Swarm

Caught a 9 lb swarm a couple of days ago...
    I often wonder how big the colony was before this swarm took flight... I suppose that it could have been a whole colony.
    Anyone know or want to do a WAG on what percentage of a colony generally swarms?
    TIA
    Chuck
    Ronan, MT
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    (Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 9 lb Swarm

From reading, up to 60 percent may be in a prime swarm.
    Cheers
    gww
    PS My swarms are always small. 9lbs is not small.
    zone 5b

Last year one of my hives practically emptied out. I didn't attempt to weigh the bees but it was difficult to lift the box once they had mostly gotten into the 10 frame deep. It literally took two deep hive bodies for all the bees to be able to crowd inside. It wasn't a complete abscond. There were a hand full of bees and a laying queen left behind but the colony struggled from then on.

I have 30 Swarm Traps out and no hits yet.
    Everyone of my captures have been cut-outs so far...
    Going after one this morning in the ceiling of a 2 story bldg... Up on the 2nd Floor of course... Can't get to it from the outside as it's a brick building so we're going up through the ceiling... Luckily (Knock on wood) the corner where I suspect them to be is in a small room that I can lock myself into and seal well...
    They said that the colony has been in there for four year!

UPDATE: Cool rainy day, Perfect I thought!
    And the bees were right were I thought they would be...... A year or two ago....
    No bees, but a great comb network!
    Apparently, the bees that were going in and out were just robbers from another colony...
    Cleaned out the comb and since this room wasn't used, I suggested that they open the window in that room (Already Broken), close the door, seal the bottom of the door and let the scavenger bees do there thing... Clean it up for a week or so. Then fix the window, use an expanding foam to seal the bay off from the outside world and spray the bay with an insect repellent...
    Actually who knows, in two weeks I might have just created the perfect swarm trap!

My 'rule of thumb' is that the queen only takes the daughters that she likes when they swarm. Good workers, huge swarm. Not so good... good riddance!

It varies as much as us humans. 100 years ago, parents had great relationships with their kids. Today, not so much. I saw something in the news (yes, it made the TV news) about what to do when your 30 year old son won't move out & what the parents are doing to 'evict' him... (true story, but a bit of tongue-in-cheek to the bee comparison)

Quote Originally Posted by The Everything Bee Vacuum View Post
    My 'rule of thumb' is that the queen only takes the daughters that she likes when they swarm. Good workers, huge swarm. Not so good... good riddance!

It varies as much as us humans. 100 years ago, parents had great relationships with their kids. Today, not so much. I saw something in the news (yes, it made the TV news) about what to do when your 30 year old son won't move out & what the parents are doing to 'evict' him... (true story, but a bit of tongue-in-cheek to the bee comparison)
    Yeah.....the queen is not in charge of a swarm and often has been seen being forced out of the hive! From birth to death she is a slave to the hive.

Yeah, she is more an egg slave than a queen. And btw having your kid watch an hour of Netflix so mom can get a break is better than the old school way of mom polishing off that bottle of chardonnay to relax.