Argentine Ants & Vivaldi Board

Default Argentine Ants & Vivaldi Board

Removed the outer cover to a 2 week old swarm and the inside/top of the Vivaldi board had numerous Argentine ants. The ants were feasting on bee larvae.

I believe they crawled thru the screen of the Vivaldi board and took larvae from the cells. Then traveled back up to the top. The bees couldn’t follow them thru the screen.

I replaced the Vivaldi board with a standard inner cover and spent 30 minutes squashing ants. Put some ant poison stakes around the block supports.

Will wage all out war tomorrow!
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Argentine Ants & Vivaldi Board

I always suggest diatomacious earth sprinkled around the ground under hives to deter ants, fleas, and shb larvae. It is safer than most other methods. I've ditched inner covers due to palmetto bugs (large native roaches). They could get between the inner cover and the telescoping lid. YUCK! Now I just smoke the outer edge and they drop off.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Default Re: Argentine Ants & Vivaldi Board

I hate the Argentine Ant.

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss the fire ants. I have yards which always had fire ant mounds. They never seemed to harass the bees. In fact, in the yards that I had healthy colonies of fire ants, it seemed like I never had a hive beetle problem.

A few years ago, I noticed that I wasn't seeing as many fire ant mounds. Now, in a couple of yards there are no fire ants. Instead they've been replaced by the Argentine ant, which is a problem for my hives. Even strong hives can't seem to defend against a swarm of them, and I believe they've caused an usually high level of absconding. They just stress the hive until they move on.

I tried diatomaceous earth which seems to have little to no effect even when dry, and once it gets wet once the ants move right over it. In my area we get rain too often for this to be practical. I've tried essential oils, with no luck. So the organic route is useless.

I haven't tried cinnamon, but if like diatomaceous earth it's only good until it rains, that's an option I can't afford the money or labor on to keep up.

For years I've used cement blocks and 4x4's for my hive stands. Simple and cheap. But now I'm forced to think about some mechanical barrier for these F#%$xxg invaders. My first attempt was to smear grease over the lowest cement block, to try to make barrier. But that didn't work.

I'm pulling my hair out on this one. I'm tempted to do what I've never done, and use some sort of slow acting pesticide trap for the ants. Something that won't repel them, but instead cause them to take it back to their hives. I'm reluctant to do it, but I have to do something.