Moving to Charlotte, NC area

Default Moving to Charlotte, NC area

Planning to move to outskirts of Charlotte, North Carolina. Any one knows if it would be possible to operate commercially and not go out too far (e.g. Florida) maybe only to neighboring states, 150+/- mile radius?
    Main concern, is there any/enough honey flow between March-August for 300-400 hive operation? What blooms? Heard there is acacia trees? Cotton (possibly)? Blueberries in SE corner of NC?

Please advise. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Moving to Charlotte, NC area

I am a backyard beekeeper and have no idea about the commercial questions. I live right outside Charlotte. This is only my second year, so definitely look for others from the area for advice. This is what I have seen so far.

We have a good spring flow and a moderate fall flow

In spring it’s maples, redbud, dandelion, cherry trees, dogwoods, clover, tuplip poplars. Pretty much in that order

In falll there is a small goldenrod/ aster flow.

https://www.ncbeekeepers.org/honey/f...whats-blooming

This is a good link for the various areas in NC.

i'm definitely not commercial. I'm in the greater Charlotte area. Our flow (primarily tulip poplar) ends around middle of June. After that, there is a dearth til August when asters and goldenrod provide enough for them to survive winter (hopefully). Most real farming in the Carolinas is east of I-95 which is 3 or more hours drive from Charlotte. There are some fairly small farmers who need pollination for apples, blueberries, squash, cucumbers, etc nearby-maybe needing 40 or so hives. There are a lot of hobbyists around: a few years ago I read that NC has the largest number of hives per people of any state. Traditionally, beekeepers around here get packages in the spring that come from south Georgia. Increasingly, we are buying locally raised nucs.
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 17 years; TF for 12; Zone 7B

The flows here vary wildly from mile to mile. Cotton is an option but is a lot of work. Cotton would usually require 3-6 different farmers agreeing to spray at the same time and letting you know when they're going to spray. Blueberries are an option but you may be hard pressed to find anyone willing to pay for pollination.

Quote Originally Posted by stasn View Post
    Planning to move to outskirts of Charlotte, North Carolina. Any one knows if it would be possible to operate commercially and not go out too far (e.g. Florida) maybe only to neighboring states, 150+/- mile radius?
    Main concern, is there any/enough honey flow between March-August for 300-400 hive operation? What blooms? Heard there is acacia trees? Cotton (possibly)? Blueberries in SE corner of NC?

Please advise. Thanks.
    That's a serious move!

I'd contact the NC State Apiarist and ask him questions. He's a nice guy and very helpful. When considering relocation to NC, I was able to get great help from him.

Don Hopkins
    919-218-3310
    [email protected]

Good luck!

Adam
    http://vpqueenbees.com