Using provap 110 with inverters

Default Using provap 110 with inverters

How do you hook up your provap to a vehicle? My inverter just blows fuses at the cigarette lighter port.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Using provap 110 with inverters

I use a Ryobi inverter generator.

An older version of this, that I already had: https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-Bluetoo...rter+generator
    South Texas Apiaries, LLC
    www.Facebook.com/SouthTexasApiaries

I think cigarette lighters are only fit for a max of 10 amps whereas I should imagine that the provap will want to draw more than 20 amps from you 12 volt system. what you should do is connect the inverter directly to your vehicles battery posts. My inverter has clamps to clamp onto the battery as it is a 600 watt inverter. What is the output of your inverter, another point is if you are doing multiple hives you may want to idle your engine in case you pull the battery down and are unable to start your vehicle when you are done, been there and done that with a failing truck battery that had lost a lot of its capacity.
    Johno

The vaporizer is a 110 volt electrical appliance, 250 watts, 2.2 amps.

https://oxavap.com/product/provap-11...ial-vaporizer/
    That 250 watt draw of the Provap translates to nearly 21 amps (250/12=20.83) at 12 volts, plus some more overhead for the inverter electronics. As Johno notes above, its unlikely that a cigarette outlet/power point can provide that.

Clamps similar to jumper cables directly on the battery would work, or if you plan to do this a lot you could install a heavy duty plug that is accessible without popping the hood. I'm referring to a plug that is wired directly to the battery - not anything inside the passenger compartment.

For instance, plugs like these would be suitable:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-A...5.c10#viTabs_0
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 05-14-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: clarify
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I think you will find that there is a power distribution panel under the hood which will have to be tapped into. Dont even think about putting a heavier fuse into the cigarette lighter circuit. Rader's jumper cable clamps solution will be far the cheapest.
    Frank

Thanks guys, just noticed it draws 28.5A. I like the idea of a permanent port! 30A fuse then? No, I won’t use it on cigarette lighter port!

I bought an inverter from Lowe’s for like $70. Made sure it’s right size. Just clamps to battery terminals. I leave truck running and plug in extension cord to inverted.

Was thinking about getting the same thing but to use with a bee vac.

I use the battery clamp 400-800w inverter from HF, works great. (About $25). The cigarette plug and related wiring does not work with the ProVap.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

SS Auck, you will need a much bigger inverter for a Beevac as the vacs have quite a large motor, but they seem to get cheaper at HF every time I see an advert 1000 to 2000watts for around $100
    Johno

Keep in mind that inverter watt ratings are often exaggerated.

I have a 1500 watt inverter that I direct clipped to the battery in my car (parked, but with engine running) one time, and tried to print to a laser printer that I also had in the car. Well, the printer would not come online, yet the printer's watt rating was less than the 1500 watt inverter (alleged) rating.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

good to know. Thanks for the insight. sorry i sidetracked the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    I use the battery clamp 400-800w inverter from HF, works great. (About $25). The cigarette plug and related wiring does not work with the ProVap.
    I was thinking of getting the 400W/800W inverter from Harbor Freight but didn't know if it would power up my band heater. It should as it only should draw 3amps or so.
    Does it work well? I tried a 300W one but it didn't do the job, I think the continuous wattage was less.

Quote Originally Posted by jncapiary View Post
    I was thinking of getting the 400W/800W inverter from Harbor Freight but didn't know if it would power up my band heater. It should as it only should draw 3amps or so.
    Does it work well? I tried a 300W one but it didn't do the job, I think the continuous wattage was less.
    I used a 400W ampeak a couple of times before it went bad. I contacted the manufacturer and they told me the ProVap is an inductive load which requires a starting power 5-7 times of the rated power. They recommended I get a 2000W inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto487 View Post
    I used a 400W ampeak a couple of times before it went bad. I contacted the manufacturer and they told me the ProVap is an inductive load which requires a starting power 5-7 times of the rated power. They recommended I get a 2000W inverter.
    No motors on a pro vap so it is a strictly resistance load, not inductive. Those cheap inverters issue with wildly optimistic ratings. Efficiency is poor so battery draw watts will be much higher than supplied AC watts.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by roberto487 View Post
    I used a 400W ampeak a couple of times before it went bad. I contacted the manufacturer and they told me the ProVap is an inductive load which requires a starting power 5-7 times of the rated power.
    With whom did you speak? The PV is not inductive I’ve found the 400-800w inverter works just fine (unless you have a defective unit).
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I use my provap with my Tacoma's built-in inverter with no problems at all.
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom