Replacing 5 year old comb- foundationless question

Default Replacing 5 year old comb- foundationless question

I'm going into my 6 season as a beek. I have not treated my hives with anything since I started. Whether wise or not, that's an entirely different discussion and not my intent. I've read that comb should be cycled out every 5 years or so to keep chemical levels down(due to chemical use all around us and out of our control) I simply cut the oldest, darkest comb that I have out of some of the frames, installed popsicle sticks across the top as a guide and reinstalled them into my hives. The two I've tried so far have been rebuilt as drone comb(beautiful and straight, but drone comb). If I continue to add a couple empty frames at a time, is it likely that they will eventually reach a drone comb threshold and start building worker sized comb? I figure they're building what they need at the moment as much as I'd like them to build what I want them to. I have not tried this before so any advice or experience based responses will be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Replacing 5 year old comb- foundationless question

Normal amount of drone comb when you run foundationless is around 20%. Yes once they have enough drone comb they'll go back to building worker and honey cells.

Do you do any repositioning of drone comb such as moving it away from the center toward the outer positions where pollen and honey are typically housed? Or do you just leave it where the bees put it?

Yes sir move it to the outside.

There has to be a continuous flow of the combs away from the entrance.
    So that new combs are constantly being built by the entrance and old combs are the farthest away and only used for the honey storage (very convenient to just harvest them).
    After 5 years of proper rotation, you should not really have any combs older than 2-3-4 years.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.