Cold knife users

Default Cold knife users

This is one of the most useful tools I've bought in a long time:

https://brodandtaylor.com/knife-shar...errated-knife/

I got the "classsic" on amazon for $70.

I had gone back and forth for years about getting a bigger uncapping system--it's not just the price that stops me but also the space for all this equipment. I have 2 plastic uncapping tanks that I like a lot. One is from Dadant and one Blue Sky. I have a Mann Lake that I"m going to sell; too big and bulky. Then there is the problem of uneven frames (I"m foundationless) along with cleaning etc on one of those big expensive uncapping units. I try to keep my honey production to not exceed the time it takes to sell the honey. This only a side thing for me. Cold knife has its benefits.

Anyway, I got this knife sharpener for this spring's extracting and it is more helpful than I could hope for. Plus my kitchen knives are so sharp I have to be very careful when cutting anything. You tube has some good video on the brod and taylor sharpener.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cold knife users

I have a round diamond sharpener for serrated knives. It works great but takes a bit of practice to get the feel for it. My cold uncapping knife is still bloody sharp.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

The sharpener could work, but my information about cutting tools (wood chisels, etc) is that both front and back are of interest. The tool you show seems likely to mar the backside of the knife. But maybe I'm wrong again.

"Bloody sharp," eh? I try to keep my knives sharp, too, but don't always succeed.
    Anybody have a comparison to offer between cold knives (sharp ones) and capping lifters (the things that could be mistaken for a dog comb)? I've only used the lifter/not-really-a-scratcher, and I'm curious about the relative amount of honey that ends up in the cappings bowl (small harvests).

Michael
    "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." (heard often from the late David Sebree) Still making them, myself

Sharpens only the serrated sided because the knife is turned 45 degrees into the serrated side so that the flat side is untouched when pulling through the sharpener. That's the beauty of this one.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Thanks for sharing. I use a std chefs nice. In my experience the key is warm supers. Makes the entire process...capping, spinning, straining so much easier.