Moving hives 25 yards.

Default Moving hives 25 yards.

One of the farmers I keep hives with sold the piece of land that 6 of my hives are currently on. He has another field about 25 yards away that I can use to place the hives on. At this point im planning on closing them off when they come in for the night and moving them on over, then stuffing the entrance with green grass. I figure it will take some time for the grass to dry out and the bees to get through it, maybe forcing them to reorient. Sound like a plan? Or is there a better way to do this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Moving hives 25 yards.

Leave the weakest one in place for a week to catch the strays, then move it to your home for a month, then move it to the new location. If you can of course.

I had to do the same thing last summer by request of land owner. 5 hives and I moved each with a wheelbarrow about 90 yards away. 2 on one day and I left empty nuc midpoint between the 2, then 3 and left another empty nuc. Did the grass thing. It was no problem at all for the bees. It was quite a workout for me because 3 of the hives I had to make 2 trips. A few weeks later I moved the nucs but they only had a few bees in them.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

If its hot do not leave them sealed up for long or you will have alot of dead bees. Place the hives on a pallet and strap the hive together. Seal them up at night. Next day first thing move the hives as a unit, one by one to the new location. Lean sticks against the opening of the entrance reducer to get the bees to reorient and open up the entrance. Usually do not have any problems. I only keep them sealed up for a few hours and it works for me. Micheal Bush goes over moving hives in his book "The Practical Beekeeper" and its available on line. Good Luck and I hope this helps.