Question - how to best remove bees from supers @ extraction time?

Default Question - how to best remove bees from supers @ extraction time?

In the past I've used a leaf blower to remove the bees from the supers after pulling them from the stack. I'd blow them out and put the supers on a stack on my dolly, preventing them from getting back in. I'd leave them like this overnight and extract in the morning. It works, but doesn't leave the bees too happy.

Any advice on a better way to do it? I keep hives in the back of my 2 acre home site. Neighbors are around, but not right on top of me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Question - how to best remove bees from supers @ extraction time?

Best and easiest way I have found is to use Fisher's Bee-Quick and a fume board. No harsh smell, very fast and removes all the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhwg View Post
    Best and easiest way I have found is to use Fisher's Bee-Quick and a fume board. No harsh smell, very fast and removes all the bees.
    I used this method last year and was happy with the results.
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

And no need to buy a costly fume board. Just some scrap pieces 2 or 3 inches thick/deep the dims of your hives and some felt cloth will work just fine, likely other cloth would work but my wife (a teacher) had some felt and that has work for 3 years. I stapled the felt to the "minnie-super" but you could attach with duct tape or glue if you needed to.

Sounds good. Thanks for the recommendations.

I use bee quick as well but last year I decided to stand the supers on their side behind the hives just before dark. I came out the next morning, bushed a few bees off and moved them inside for extracting. Worked pretty good for about 8 or 10 supers.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I use bee escape boards under the supers.

Nancy

Can you put the escape board under 4 supers at once? Do you leave it overnight?

I've tried everything and fume board is my prefererence. Just be careful with the juice, it's strong stuff.

I use a piece of thick cardboard and bee-go, set it sun to warm. You may need to clear each super one by one. Don't use too much juice and don't leave the fumeboard on for more than a few minutes.
    Last edited by burns375; 05-12-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Fume board in the field and blower just before taking them inside. If you use the blower set the boxes on their ends but elevated off the ground, otherwise the bees are blown into the ground and injured
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

I do what ravenseye does with some smoke , work for me but I only have a few hives .
    Dad always said " Smart like tractor, strong like bull "