Kerf + popsicle sticks / tongue depressors - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Kerf + popsicle sticks / tongue depressors

I use a thin board I cut with table saw about a saw blade width and with top bar I make two cuts in center of it and when done dip in hot wax this gives your bees a starter strip that they seem to build on a lot sooner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I'm not tb, but when making foundationless frames for my langs, I rip thin strips from a piece of 1 x and glue them into the groove. True you will need to cut your own groove, but that is super easy to do a whole bunch all at one time. With a little adjusting of the fence, you can cut the strips to get a tight fit in the groove left by the sawblade kerf. After they have been glued in, I paint them with wax. Here is a picture of the foundationless mating nuc frames I did yesterday with the starter strip installed.

20181117_211145.jpg
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I've used paint stir sticks, strips of wood and plastic foundation cut down. I've glued them in and used brads to hold them. My bees perfer ones that are approx 1/4 inch out from the top bar. When approx 3/4 inch they just attached at the edge. I rubbed wax on all of mine.
    When making a kerf I measure very careful to the center. Make a cut then reverse it and make another pass. This puts the kerf in the center. I have messed up serveral getting it right.

Quote Originally Posted by mcr View Post
    I've used paint stir sticks, strips of wood and plastic foundation cut down. I've glued them in and used brads to hold them. My bees perfer ones that are approx 1/4 inch out from the top bar. When approx 3/4 inch they just attached at the edge. I rubbed wax on all of mine.
    When making a kerf I measure very careful to the center. Make a cut then reverse it and make another pass. This puts the kerf in the center. I have messed up serveral getting it right.
    Yes! I have not done a lot of foundationless except for drone comb but my observation is that the bees attach more solidly to the whole top bar width, (rather than only to the starter) if you make the starter small. Also waxing the whole of the top bar is perhaps not the best move. When bees attach to wood they seem to deposit a primer of propolis wax mixture to bond the comb. A better bond than the melted wax you slather on.
    Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12