Varroa Gate

Thread: Varroa Gate

Default Varroa Gate

I was watching a video on Bayer's Varroa gate. Not available here in the US. Uses the principle of a hive entrance reducer that is infused with a material to kill varroa mites as the bees crawl through the holes to get into the colony.

I would think if you framed a couple of Apiguard strips and cut holes into them to allow the bees to pass though, it may act in the same way to eliminate mites piggy backing on bees returning to the colony and then they would pass the substance within the hive also...

Thoughts???

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Varroa Gate

I saw this too and was curious; but isn't it flawed? Wouldn't younger bees (nurse, etc) not be exposed to the miticide as they don't leave the hive?

Too smart people, some times, come up with too silly products.

The miticide in the Varroa gate doesn't need to come in contact with every bee in the hive. If it comes into contact with foragers, who then come into contact with receiver bees, and so on, in theory the miticide is spread through the colony. But it gives a "concentrated dose" at the entrance to the mites entering the hive. How effective it is, I don't know. But I wouldn't call it flawed. If you reduced your mite numbers significantly using oxalic or formic acid in, say September, then put one of these gates on through the end of the year, you wouldn't have to worry about treating again (or worry about mite bombs). At least that would be the theory.

As far as whether you can do that with Apiguard strips, I think you mean "Apivar strips." Apiguard is a thymol based gel, and doesn't come in "strip" form. Apivar is the amitraz impregnated plastic strip miticide treatment. That issue aside, I would highly advise against doing it.

Apivar is not intended for prolonged exposure to the hive. It's prolonged exposure may have significantly negative impacts on the wax, honey, pollen, reproductivity, and worker longevity, not to mention increased possibility of mite resistance (of which some mites have already shown to amitraz in particular). That of course doesn't speak to the fact that using a miticide in a method other than the label instructions is a violation of federal law. Apivar was designed to be put in a hive, give a knockdown over a few weeks, and taken out. It would be best to use it that way.

Does the OP know the active ingredient in the bee gate product? Since Apivar is of diminishing effectiveness, other options are necessary for those of us not able to live with not going beyond treatments I refer to as Angel Farts. I see OA as the last best treatment effective on all hives weak and strong. Another option that doesn't tear up brood and queens would be most welcome to rotate with the OA.

I thought that the gate was for bees that were robbing a crashing hive due to mites then give them a good dose of some mite killer chemical before they get in the hive.

i would be down for trying these as yet another weapon in the arsenal against varroa. Im not sure i would be prepared to use it as the sole weapon but as part of a comprehensive treatment program why not give it a try?
    Are they for sale yet?