inspections during the flow

Default inspections during the flow

Hello, all,

I'm hearing word from other beekeepers in the vicinity, though not the immediate area, that the flow is on.

this makes me cry a little because one of my hives decided to swarm and the other two are a mess of franken combs.

Okay, done crying. My question is how often would you inspect during a potential or definite flow? I mean, for sure I'm doing at least weekly, but would you do more frequent than that?

thanks,
    Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: inspections during the flow

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    My question is how often would you inspect during a potential or definite flow? I mean, for sure I'm doing at least weekly, but would you do more frequent than that?
    No.

Weekly or every other week to make sure they have enough space. Add supers if they don't (although I think you're operating TBH, so not applicable).

Check weekly (if you want) for swarm prevention, until you're past that time. After that, you don't need to check weekly anymore.

Busy bees on a flow are easy to inspect. Don't overdo it, though. Once a week is fine. Alternate hives on different days if you need a bee-fix more often than once a week.

nancy

thanks for the feedback y'all!
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

If your hives are actively building comb, once a week (every week) to keep them straight. no more Franken-combs.

Correct comb problems as soon as you see them. Every bar straight along the guide, all the way to the sides of the hive.

In year two you can drop down to every two weeks if you want. That's hard to do in year 1.

good luck!

During May, peak flow in Louisville. Im checking atleast every week, more like every 5 days. It only takes a few minutes to pot the top and see how much is in the honey super. If you see alot of white and large population of bees they are putting it on. I put a honey super on each hive, see which hives are filling the fastest, then pile supers on the strong ones.

Around here, Im sure its similar in georgia. When the flow peaks, a strong hive can put on a massive amount of honey quick. Its not unusually to find a super drawn out in less than a week and filled with nectar. I find new beekeepers are often unpreprared, they don't think it can happen that quick. Often they underestimate the population explosion hidden in capped brood.

I'm finding once a week is good so far. I may move it a day to either side if rain is forecast. So far I'm keeping ahead of their building comb.

How often I inspect depends on if I'm startig a largely empty hive where I need the bars drawn with comb or if they already have drawn bars. Every 5 days, short inspections, minimal smoke and great care to cut side attachments - very helpful to ensure straight comb. Will not slow them down noticeably. And I put empty bars between drawn bars when expanding.