Nectar flow is ON!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nectar flow is ON!

If you are beekeeping anywhere near the piedmont (northern) of GA you better be checking your hives.
    I've been into a couple of outyards today. Loads of new, beautiful wax. Supers put on hives last week are nearly full!
    I will run out of equipment shortly at the current rate.
    This is the strongest flow I can remember!
    Gotta go. Just stopped in to pick up some more supers.
    Last edited by beemandan; 05-06-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Nectar flow is ON!

mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

I couldn’t stop smiling today.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

The flow is on here in central VA too. Went into two of my hives and have never seen so much WHITE wax, not creamy yellow, white. So much nectar coming in that they are trying to backfill broodnest. Took care of that! Might be a short but good season.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Might be a short but good season.
    It started about 10 days later than usual here. I have high hopes that it won't be short. Fingers crossed for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I couldn’t stop smiling today.
    It is a beautiful thing isn’t it?
    “My child, eat honey, for it is good, and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste.” (Proverbs 24:13)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bee View Post
    It is a beautiful thing isn’t it?
    Indeed it is! It is a result of massive incoming nectar delivered by the mature foraging force and driven by a hoarding instinct, refined and perfected through eons of evolution.
    It is amazing in so many different ways that I cannot even begin to put it into words.
    It is truly an honor to be tasked with partnering with these creatures.

Here too in Louisville. Started pouring in about 1.5 weeks ago once temps were stable 50F nights 70F days. We just received 3 inches of rain on Saturday. Clover and black locust popped today.

It's the strongest flow I've seen in my 5 short years of beekeeping here in middle GA. I've already pulled honey twice from 13 medium frames. Getting ready to pull a bunch more this week! It's amazing to watch.
    Try it. What could happen?

Hey, y'all,

I got a bit anxious when I saw this thread because my hives have some issues (one swarmed, the other two broken and cross-combed). But then I realized, y'all are probably talking about established colonies not brand new ones installed in March.

-Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

A fellow who bought a couple of nucs from me in late March told me that he is going to get a surplus from them.
    You had a new colony swarm? Broken and cross combed? I'm not sure what that's all about.

This hive contains a swarm I caught in early April. They had one frame of drawn comb and nine frames of wax foundation. I fed them 1:1 and once they first deep was nearly drawn I added another with wax foundation. When it was nearly full I removed the feeder and added a third deep with wax foundation. When it was nearly full I added a medium with wax foundation. The third deep is completely drawn and filled without feeding. They are currently drawing the medium.
    In less than five weeks.
    Just sayin'

Attached Images Attached Images

seeing pretty much the same thing going on here dan.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    seeing pretty much the same thing going on here dan.
    From a beekeeper's perspective, it has been pretty much a perfect spring.

Hey,

I have top bar hives. Two of my hives there is some cross-combing going on.

It was actually the one hive where they were drawing straight comb that decided to swarm, go figure.

A fellow who bought a couple of nucs from me in late March told me that he is going to get a surplus from them.
    You had a new colony swarm? Broken and cross combed? I'm not sure what that's all about.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    It was actually the one hive where they were drawing straight comb that decided to swarm, go figure.
    Package bees? In 6 weeks? Pretty unusual.
    I trust that there was brood, bees and queen cells remaining.....so that they can recover.

Yeah, the post-swarm inspection showed hella drone comb, and about six capped swarm cells on different combs. I created a split using one of the queen cell / brood combs. I left four queen cells in the mother hive, which was slammed with nectar. I'm not too worried about the mother hive.

One factor I think is I used a newspaper sling (wrong wrong wrong) to try to fix a broken comb. That might have disturbed them in some way I don't understand.

Package bees? In 6 weeks? Pretty unusual.
    I trust that there was brood, bees and queen cells remaining.....so that they can recover.

Wow!, Thanks for making this post!

I read your post and this morning I checked my supers. I have never seen my supers packed out so tight before.
    I checked them 1.5 weeks ago and they were only at 60%
    Make sure your back's in good shape before you try and remove those supers!

Thanks again its a good honey year!

Larry

From a beekeeper's perspective, it has been pretty much a perfect spring.
    yep. hopefully we'll get some decent rains going forward to finish it out.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by beecole View Post
    Make sure your back's in good shape before you try and remove those supers!
    That's the truth! I've added a fourth super to some. Removing those, if full, will be a test!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast