Advantech users - what kind of joinery do you use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advantech users - what kind of joinery do you use?

I'm going into my second year with Advantech. I've been using standard hive body 3/4" finger joints. Today I was cutting out the fingers for a dozen new deep boxes when I started wondering if with Advantech it was even necessary to go to that much effort and time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zone 6B

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Advantech users - what kind of joinery do you use?

I have used advantech for only the front and back of the boxes and just made rabbit joints. Then used staples from the front and back and then stapled the sides to the front and back into the rebate. A little heavier but they work fine.
    Johno

I used rabbet joints cut with a plywood blade on my table saw. Never tried using a dado blade on any osb product.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

You can use whichever joinery method you prefer with Advantek. That said, it's not something I'd want to process with my "really good" dado stack because the resins, etc., in composite sheet goods like this are extremely abrasive. Use a more throw-away stack for this stuff. You'll also want to insure that whatever you use for glue is a good fit since an outdoor rated product may not absorb a PVA type glue in the same way that solid stock or plywood will.
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

I have a really poor dado set which I use to cut most of the rebate and then finish it off on a router table which ends up with a really smooth finish. I have also used Titebond 2 with good results.
    Johno

Boy those will be some heavy boxes
    Rough on the blades too. Just paint them good the sun wears them out
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY

I would use rabbets, TB II or TB III, and staples
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

I use advantek to make migratory tops, I only use butt joints and screws.
    South Texas Apiaries, LLC
    www.Facebook.com/SouthTexasApiaries

I made 50 or so 5 frame nuc boxes with a deep super a few years ago. I also made 25 deep brood boxes last year. All were made the same but joints glued with Tb 2 and 3/8 2in staples. 1 coat of oil base primer and 2 coats of latex paint. All are rock solid. They are heavy but I like them. I have switched to pallets so extra weight not a problem so far. I feel the hives grow faster in the advantech boxes. Don't know why maybe the chip glue and wax make up is a better insulator than pine board. I like them wish I had more time to build more. Robert
    A

Use the joint of your choice. Advantec will work with all of them. I use box joints, but other joints work well also.

cchoganjr
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    I'm going into my second year with Advantech. I've been using standard hive body 3/4" finger joints. Today I was cutting out the fingers for a dozen new deep boxes when I started wondering if with Advantech it was even necessary to go to that much effort and time.
    Finger joints aren't really even a good joint for solid boards. I'd probably just use rabbet joints. It's a lot less effort, and in the long run will probably be just as good a joint, if not better, than finger joints.

Advantech is .70 inches thick. Do you have to change your cut plan since it's not 3/4", or does that small difference not matter?

I take the 1/32 difference into account when using plywood. It adds up quickly.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Quote Originally Posted by Qvox View Post
    Advantech is .70 inches thick. Do you have to change your cut plan since it's not 3/4", or does that small difference not matter?
    The only dimension that needs to change is the depth of the finger joint. All of the other dimensions stay the same and the finger joints are still 3/4" wide. The finger joints are 23/32 deep to match the 23/32 thickness Advantech. The sole adjustment is just a small tweak on my blade height handle.

This keeps the outside dimensions of the boxes the same as the my other wooden ware so they stack the same. The inside dimensions end up 1/16" larger, not a problem at all. the boxes are straight and square and stay straight and tiny cracks don't open up between boxes as normal wood expands and contracts.

I use wood (pine) external handles on Advantech boxes and I like the external handles so much better that I've been adding them to my boxes with the cut recessed handles as I service or harvest the boxes. External handles provide a better grip and because they run the full width of the box they are more ergonomic and allow me to position my hands closer to my body when lifting, which makes a huge difference when hoisting a loaded honey box.
    Zone 6B

I need advice on what 10" blades you guys are using. My plywood/OBS blade isn't hacking it. My Dado stack is great for the rabbet joints, but the plywood blades are dulling and slow.

I'm not a "fine" woodworker, so I'm looking for suggestions for blades that can be had from the big box stores, or online.

edit to add:
    Forget the plywood and OBS blades, and just use a good multipurpose blade.

I guess I was trying too hard for smooth edges.
    Last edited by Qvox; 05-17-2018 at 05:44 PM.

I use a carbide plywood blade, 80 tooth I think. Cuts like a hot knife through butter. Very smooth edges. Bought at a big box store several years ago. Blade was not cheap.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I use a generic tungsten tipped crosscut 7" blade from Ace Hardware to do all of my box cuts, they are about $5 a blade and are very thin so there is not much wastage on the cuts. Obviously you do not get the depth of a 10" blade but bear in mind you are cutting mostly 3/4" materiel, actually they might be 71/4"
    Johno

I'm using a cheap 10" melamine blade on Advantech, it cuts Advantech like butter with a very clean cut.

If you want smooth edges without tear out then use zero clearance inserts on your saw. I'm not seeing tear out from the random orientation of Advantech with my ZCI (I make my own ZCI from Baltic birch plywood, see YouTube for how to make them).

Another trick you can try to minimize tear out is to apply masking tape over the cut line on the bottom side of the board for table saw, or top side of the board for circular saw. Its not fool proof, but that little bit of extra grain support does cut down on tear out.
    Zone 6B

I'm 20 nucs into using this product.

I'm concerned about some of the exposed crosscuts. There are cavities exposed which look they're going to be hard to fill with paint. Maybe I shouldn't have used it for the bottom board. My cost per nuc is around $10 in material (haven't sat down and calculated it yet) which is a very good price ....that is, if the nucs last.

It was also a pain to modify my plans for the 23/32" width of these boards. Of course, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, especially when it comes to woodworking, so that's probably nothing for some of you guys. But I need plans. D Coats nuc plans would probably be well suited for this stuff. But trying to build a traditional plan, I have my concerns. Especially with with 3/4" bottom cleats. I think cutting those is a mistake. I think for the next batch I'm going to use solid lumber for the side rails and cleats, for my bottom board, and maybe for the sides of my top cover. I think the boxes will be fine.

Question: How do you guys treat your crosscuts so they don't rot out?

Qvox, I use the advantech for the ends and lids only the bottoms and sides I use 1/2" ply. I route a 3/4" deep rebate on the ends for frame rests then paint the outsides with a coat of kilz latex followed by whatever exterior latex I can find. My crosscuts are reasonably smooth and after the coats of paint I do not have a problem and some of my stuff is over 4 years old now,
    Johno

I only use the Advantech for the boxes. There is only a 3/8" crosscut exposed and that I put several coats of paint on. Bottoms, inner covers, and tops are made out of traditional materials.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast