Advantech users - what kind of joinery do you use? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Advantech users - what kind of joinery do you use?

@Johno Thanks for the information. I'm glad to hear that your Advantech woodware has lasted the test of time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

My ply boxes are starting to show some delamination after 10 years of use. The 1x material hives, some have a bit of warping but still in good shape in the same amount of time. I would be more interested in how advantec fares after 10 years outside.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

$11.20 per 5 frame hive.

That's approximately what it cost me in Advantech to produce 20 5 frame deep hive bodies, 20 telescoping tops, and 20 bottom boards. I say approximately because I have scraps that can be used to produce components on the next run. So maybe a little less.

The advantage of this material is it's relatively inexpensive. It holds up to weather, and water.

The disadvantage of this material is I believe the crosscuts are vulnerable to water. There are small cavities in advantech that are exposed on the crosscuts. After priming, and painting the cuts these cavities were filled. But painting them for me was more like pushing paint into them with the tip of the brush, which was a pain, and took time. I couldn't just spray them. I had to work the paint in with a brush. (I absolutely hate painting hives) I wonder if using some sort of wood filler on the outer crosscuts would help improve the longevity of these hives (?). That would certainly add to the labor, but might be worth it.

For the hobbiest running only a few hives, I probably wouldn't mess with it. Obviously large commercial operations probably have access to less expensive lumber sources. But for my region, for sideliners, small commercial operations, or hobbyist expanding into a more serious sideline business, this stuff probably fills the bill.

I joined the Advantech bandwagon today after Alison asked me to make a few more NUC boxes and migratory covers. It's been a busy year for NUCs and we've been running "too close" in number of available boxes. So I picked up a sheet this morning after dropping my older daughter off at work. It was actually pretty flat which was important to me...I planned on doing the cutting on my CNC machine. After creating the programming, I headed out to the shop, put the material on the machine and let it cut out the parts for three boxes and two migratory covers. (half-sheet...my machine is a 4x4) The cut time was 16 minutes start to finish and the end result was great. Absolutely true joinery (rabbit method) and easy to glue up and screw together. I'd use this material again for the same purpose, no question.

Here are a few photos...

The rendering of the programming prior to cutting:

Cutting in progress:

Cutting complete:

The "Customer", Alison, checking out the parts...

Built and ready for paint:

Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

I'm calling personal foul. Using a CNC machine to cut your parts is CHEATING! Lets see a show of hands, how many here, besides Jim, use a CNC machine to cut their parts. Hmm. I don't see any hands! Maybe because I'm blinded by jealousy? Aw, what the hell, good job. I made up six deeps and two mediums from a sheet this weekend. Only I had to do it "old school" with a tablesaw.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Iím very jealous of both the boxes and machinery! Thanks for the pics!!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I'm not that computer savy to run a cnc machine. However I can make a jig to use my skil saw to cut out nuc boxes or what ever I want. Learned to do this in the Navy back in the early 70's when they still taught how to use & maintain hand tools and small power tools along with bigger shop equiptment. I still like it though.

It was nice to do "because I can", but clearly, using a CNC for this isn't going to be common and is probably overkill. The machine is a new addition to my shop and I'm deep in the learning curve, so I took the opportunity. Normally, I'll be cutting signs and other things, not bee-boxes. LOL

I will say this, however...I wasn't kidding when I said the joinery was spot on. It's because of the math! The material thickness accommodation for the rabbits could be exactly cut at exactly .7188" (23/32") and repeatably.

JW, we don't use deeps, but I may cut some mediums out of the other half of the sheet to supplement the box of knock-down mediums we just received from Mann Lake. I have to imagine deeps made with this stuff are REALLY heavy!
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Speaking of knock downs Jim, I used barrel nuts to make some nucs with Advantech that I could disassemble to store flat when I didn't need them. I pressed four barrel nuts into four holes drilled in the end board and then covered them with handles so the box has a top and bottom handle. This is the first summer for trying a KD, I'll have to see how it goes. I don't have any plans to make KDs for my regular boxes or for my mating nucs, just the 5 frame nucs since they sit empty for a lot of time. Wishing now that I had made my swarm traps as KD as they take up a lot of space.

I attached the exploded cad assembly plan, I don't have a photograph, I'll have to remember to take one and upload it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Zone 6B

That's a really interesting idea, JConnolly. You're correct that NUCs take up space and for small operators like my better half, storage space can be constrained. I shoe-horned the new ones in our shelving to the expense of other non-beekeeping things that had to be moved elsewhere. If and when I make some more from the Advantech, I'll look into doing that. It would be really easy to add the precisely sized holes for the barrel bolt connectors to my cutting file for the CNC, so the only manual operation would be drilling through the end of the side-pieces to get the bolts to the connectors. I guess this would be the Ikea version of NUCs. LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12