transfer from nuc to hive

Question transfer from nuc to hive

Hello, all,

I made my first attempt at a nuc last week, so naturally I have many questions.

I want to know when and how I should transfer this nuc to a full hive. I have some ideas, please correct me if I'm wrong and I'm open to suggestions.

1) Need to build a new hive. Yep.
    2) Think about transfer when I see a lot of bees / bee activity in the nuc. right now I put three combs with nurse bees in the nuc box with a couple of empty combs. Maybe when they start covering the empty combs? Or building new comb.
    3) For transfer I was going to move the combs to the new hive (the easy part). Have the new hive in the exact same spot the nuc was. Place the "open" nuc below the entrance for the new hive.

What else?

thanks,
    Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: transfer from nuc to hive

If going from a 5 frame to a 10 frame, I'd transfer when they have five frames of bees. You need plenty of bees to patrol the hive for shb and guard against stronger hives. Don't leave the full width open at first, just to give them a little help having less of an opening to defend.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

All seems good as jadeguppy listed. I wouldn't put the empty nuc under the hive you just transferred. I'd put the new hive in old hive spot, and let the bees foraging, come back home to their new box, and not have them going into 2 boxes in the same spot.

Hi,

I should mention, it is a top bar nuc, so the empty nuc would be completely open at the top once I move the bars, like it was a trough. I just figured there might be some stragglers on the walls of the nuc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    All seems good as jadeguppy listed. I wouldn't put the empty nuc under the hive you just transferred. I'd put the new hive in old hive spot, and let the bees foraging, come back home to their new box, and not have them going into 2 boxes in the same spot.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

I keep forgetting to mention it is a top bar nuc. But I get the gist of this. Once they are covering all the combs. And reduce the entrance so they can guard. Cool thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    If going from a 5 frame to a 10 frame, I'd transfer when they have five frames of bees. You need plenty of bees to patrol the hive for shb and guard against stronger hives. Don't leave the full width open at first, just to give them a little help having less of an opening to defend.