Saskatraz Updates? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

Quote Originally Posted by COAL REAPER View Post
    both my saska hives made it, but this is also the best overwintering year i have ever had. brood pattern is tight. did not do mite shake, but uncapped a few hundred drone cells and only found 1 mite. first pollen was ~3 weeks ago.
    Did you treat. I had the best overwintering, but I treated diligently last year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Marcin View Post
    Compared to what? Can you post a picture of saskatraz brood pattern and another queen's pattern from your hives? Interested to see what the difference looks like.
    Done you know that is one of the boiler plate statements from any queen breeder. "we breed for temperament, brood pattern and disease/pest resistance." Oh wait, the queen you sold me didn't stand up to any of what you breed them for. "Oh, you must have done something wrong that affect their performance, no warranty, you are SOL"

Quote Originally Posted by roberto487 View Post
    Did you treat. I had the best overwintering, but I treated diligently last year.
    yes of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksotherhoney View Post
    It may have been discussed previously or in another post but can you graft from them? Anyone had any luck with making queens from them?
    what we get in the states is saskatraz hybrids actually. the workers of these queens are half canadian and half california whatever due to open mating. they are claimed to get testy when grafted from. rather it is suggested to use their drones in your breeding. those drones are full blood canadian. at least that is how i have come to understand it. somebody please correct me if i mispoke. i will repeat that my sakatraz hive are quite docile. i have mine hived on medium foundationless frames to promote drone rearing.

Default Newbie - Saskatraz question/observation

Hi, total newbie here.

I'm going through the process of getting up to speed and in reading several threads on Saskatraz it appears to me that, to some degree, negative feedback on Saskatraz bees seems to get worse the further south the posters are coming from.

Does it make sense that, perhaps, the bees are better suited to more northerly climates or possibly require a harsher winter to help with disease resistance?

Default Re: Newbie - Saskatraz question/observation

Quote Originally Posted by colinanderson View Post
    Hi, total newbie here.

Does it make sense that, perhaps, the [Saskatraz] bees are better suited to more northerly climates or possibly require a harsher winter to help with disease resistance?
    It is a reasonable assumption......the same that Italians may not be ideally suited to Northern climates/winters.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

Hi, total newbie here.

I'm going through the process of getting up to speed and in reading several threads on Saskatraz it appears to me that, to some degree, negative feedback on Saskatraz bees seems to get worse the further south the posters are coming from.

Does it make sense that, perhaps, the bees are better suited to more northerly climates or possibly require a harsher winter to help with disease resistance?
    im picking up 8 saskatraz queens this weekend. We will see how they do in upstate NY.

I had two Sas queens over-winter quite well here, I have to split one already; the colony has 2 deeps and a medium packed full just added another super. I am waiting on a few more drones getting out there so maybe in a week or two. Out of 5 last year 3 swarmed within a few months. These two I am pleased with.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Hi, total newbie here.

Not so sure. I know of many people in northern climates that have not had good luck with them so far at all...

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    It is a reasonable assumption......the same that Italians may not be ideally suited to Northern climates/winters.
    It's worth mentioning for those are unfamiliar with the University in Saskatoon that they have consistently been successful (ie>70 years) in adapting plants and animals to the weather of the Western Canadian Prairies. So, I think it would be safe to say that the Bee was likely selected for its suitability to this climate.

I agree with you Colinanderson; there was another thread on Sas queens last year where there were problems with some of them, but the queens weren’t directly from Canada, most people bought them from Mann Lake or Olivarez in CA, which breed their own. A man in my Club bought 6 from Mann L and did great with them and they overwintered well as my two did. But, they weren’t as varroa tolerant as we expected but it could just be our area here. Huge influx of mites in the Fall.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Due to flooding and bad weather in California I won’t get my package of saskatraz till tomorrow afternoon. How’s everybody’s else’s saskatraz doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksotherhoney View Post
    Due to flooding and bad weather in California I won’t get my package of saskatraz till tomorrow afternoon. How’s everybody’s else’s saskatraz doing?
    i installed 8 from Mannlake this past weekend. They are going gang busters. Granted i gave them all a 10F deep full of built comb, 1 frame of capped and 1 uncapped brood frame, and one honey/pollen frame.
    I checked them last night and 5 of them were given second deeps because the queens have laid up 2 more frames completely with eggs.
    Im very impressed so far with how calm the queens are on the frames and the laying patterns.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456