Saskatraz Updates? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Coal reaper, I’m just curious, do you have a separate yard just for mating?
    no, working out of one yard. this drone encouragement of such few hives my not yet be effecting my mating, but i figure it cant hurt. i am happy with the queens reared last year.
    i dont sell queens or bees or anything like that. still trying to figure it all out before growing.
    Last edited by COAL REAPER; 02-28-2019 at 09:35 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Well it couldn’t hurt. I have done the same, buying different strains of queens for the DCA; I figure it’ll help other area beekeepers too with their virgin matings, which in turn would help mine. Sometimes the crosses can get nasty (like the Buckfast). Wouldn’t it be great to know all the drones (traits) the queen mated with? By the way, I was born and raised in NJ before retiring to NY. Jersey girl all the way. Deb
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    By the way, I was born and raised in NJ before retiring to NY. Jersey girl all the way. Deb
    ahh, you must have some DTS roots! i grew up in rahway/clark. moved to other side of state to get away from congestion. we used to go to belleayre a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by COAL REAPER View Post
    ahh, you must have some DTS roots! i grew up in rahway/clark. moved to other side of state to get away from congestion. we used to go to belleayre a lot.
    Ok, what does DTS mean? And Belleayre is on the way to where I live; we are about 20 minutes from Andes. A local teacher from our tiny Bee Club does ski patrol there.

DTS = down the shore

How’d you know? My mother’s line goes back to the battle of monmouth, I can haughtily say we are DAR’s but too snooty for me. Actually we retired from Pt Pleasant up to NY, everyone asks me why. Like you the congestion got so bad and taxes so high we couldn’t stay. I guess we should get back to the thread eh?

This next week I’m gonna order some Russian and Saskatraz packages. I’d be more than happy to update people as to how they build up and if any contact EFB or AFB.

For additional genetics we purchased 30 saskatraz packages last year. April 14 2018 we placed in 10 frame boxes with 3
    drawn comb plus foundation and fed. Had to split 1 that wanted to swarm so now 31. By last week in June they had pulled out 17 frames of foundation and were filling with brood, nectar and pro sweet. We stopped feeding and placed on drawn out supers for the basswood flow which was starting. By the first week of August we pulled 1600 pounds of honey let them have the golden rod honey. Did the first quick check yesterday lost 1 colony, the biggest going into winter which we knew had mites but could not seem to fix with mite strips and OV. This colony my not have been as hygienic as the others seemed to be.We lost 2 queens in other colonies so we gave them eggs and from strong hives. Most of the colonies were still in the bottom boxes or just moving up to the 2nd deep. Soon we will pull the frames of feed so the queen can move up and lay. So far we a pleased with the Saskatraz, see how things go this year.

Rick
    ZONE 5A WVwildernessapiaries.com

recap: bought 5 queens last year (May), 3 swarmed 2 original. The 2 overwintered well (one had CBPV not the fault of the bee but the weather!) but survived as did the ones that swarmed. All produced honey.

been wanting to get a hold of Saskatraz...but everywhere sold out of queens...and around here in WI I've never heard of anyone with Saskatraz packages......if anyone knows of anything, shoot me a DM
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    been wanting to get a hold of Saskatraz...but everywhere sold out of queens...and around here in WI I've never heard of anyone with Saskatraz packages......if anyone knows of anything, shoot me a DM
    That's because they're made exclusively by OHB in NorCal. Long way for a package to go. Give them a few weeks after package season and queens will be available again.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnmyke View Post
    That's because they're made exclusively by OHB in NorCal. Long way for a package to go. Give them a few weeks after package season and queens will be available again.
    yep...I know that the Sask. project sends breeder queens specific to OHB for open mating...but also know that suppliers all over order large numbers of packages/queens from OHB to sell....just have never run into those suppliers anywhere near here.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

yep...I know that the Sask. project sends breeder queens specific to OHB for open mating...but also know that suppliers all over order large numbers of packages/queens from OHB to sell....just have never run into those suppliers anywhere near here.
    Lappe’s bee supply has saskatraz queens I had 2 out of 3 overwinter well excellent brood pattern too.

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYGUY1973 View Post
    Lappe’s bee supply has saskatraz queens I had 2 out of 3 overwinter well excellent brood pattern too.
    yep. Lappes has no Sask packages and queens are not available until end of May.

ive ordered 8 queens from Mannlake. Im gonna have to drive a couple hours to pick them up at the end of April.

I read somewhere they get theirs from OHB? Wish I could recall where I read that tho, could have be internet scribble.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wrW_04iJ_c

Roger Patterson (he takes care of Dave Cushmans website) speaking on queens, what he has been seeing in his hives since the beginning of this century. He has been keeping bees for 50 yrs. He lives in England and I thought it would be an U.K. problem, but he has found it in the US to; actually here in NY. I am putting this here because of the problems some of us had with the Sas queens and swarming/supersedure.
    It’s worth the look. Deb

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYGUY1973 View Post
    excellent brood pattern too.
    Compared to what? Can you post a picture of saskatraz brood pattern and another queen's pattern from your hives? Interested to see what the difference looks like.

both my saska hives made it, but this is also the best overwintering year i have ever had. brood pattern is tight. did not do mite shake, but uncapped a few hundred drone cells and only found 1 mite. first pollen was ~3 weeks ago.

It may have been discussed previously or in another post but can you graft from them? Anyone had any luck with making queens from them?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast