Saskatraz Updates? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnmyke View Post
    I tried these the first year they were available from Oliverez. Ordered five and about 10 Italians and 10 Carniolans to go with the order.

The ONLY hives I lost that year were the Saskatraz. As they got smaller and sicker I soon realized it was because of EFB. All my other hives were uninfected. For queens that are suppose to be resistance to brood diseases I was less than impressed.

One of them superseded late in the year and the new queen made it through the winter. She built up...ok...but is now my smallest hive going back into Winter. All others were lost the first year.

Unimpressed and won't be ordering them again as my "run of the mill" or as some would say "non-namebrand" queens outperformed on everything.
    Update:

My hive with the superseded Saskatraz queen required a save this fall. (I have named the hive my Saskacruz hive Saskatraz x Santa Cruz as this queen mated here locally) It was dwindling down and upon inspection I found, yup, EFB. Good thing I had the terramycin on hand. I did three rounds of treatment and boosted it up with brood from other hives. I'm glad to say that it bounced back and is now filling their 8 frame box. I haven't noticed EFB in any of my other hives but fed a probiotic to all my hives to help compete with any EFB. I also fed this to the treated hive to rebuild their flora as I hate using antibiotics. All is looking well from here.

Am I simply having bad luck with the Saskatraz queens?
    Why are only my Saskatraz lines getting EFB?
    Should I try again?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

cancel
    Proverbs 16:24

Tough time for you to have a weak hive - with winter upon you.

Luckily here in Central CA we're just hitting the start of our nectar flow. Girls show build up quickly from here on out!

i have 8 Saskatraz queens ordered for this year. Now im a little worried about EFB.
    I have terramycin patties perhaps ill just give each nuc with the new Sask queen a little terramycin patty.

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    i have 8 Saskatraz queens ordered for this year. Now im a little worried about EFB.
    I have terramycin patties perhaps ill just give each nuc with the new Sask queen a little terramycin patty.
    if you intend to do it you probably shouldn't post it, terramycin you need to have a prescription, and it never was approved for use in patties, and the rumor is that patties with terramycin is how afb got resistant to it.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    if you intend to do it you probably shouldn't post it, terramycin you need to have a prescription, and it never was approved for use in patties, and the rumor is that patties with terramycin is how afb got resistant to it.
    really? I bought mine from mannlake about 5 years ago when i first started beekeeping .Ive never used them they have been in the freezer all this time. They may well be useless by now but this was a product from mannlake.

Bees susceptible to EFB or AFB are not worth a cent.

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    Bees susceptible to EFB or AFB are not worth a cent.
    i dont know who to believe. The reviews by some on BS here said they had EFB with saskatraz queens then other reviews online that say they are the best thing since sliced bread.
    I guess ill give em a shot see how they do.

We have had good luck with any bees we got from Oliverez. And the Saskatraz so far are overwintering as good as any we have. By mid March or early April I will be able to update. Still February and our spring in northern Michigan is a long way off. But if you are talking honey production then I am all for them. By far out produced all our other bees. We averaged over 100 lbs. per colony.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsap View Post
    We have had good luck with any bees we got from Oliverez. And the Saskatraz so far are overwintering as good as any we have. By mid March or early April I will be able to update. Still February and our spring in northern Michigan is a long way off. But if you are talking honey production then I am all for them. By far out produced all our other bees. We averaged over 100 lbs. per colony.
    NICE! that makes me feel a little better.

I installed over 100 Saskatraz queens last year. They were the best honey producers I've ever had and they are super gentle to work. In six weeks, I'll know how well they overwintered.

Quote Originally Posted by abbee View Post
    I installed over 100 Saskatraz queens last year. They were the best honey producers I've ever had and they are super gentle to work. In six weeks, I'll know how well they overwintered.
    yup we are all crossing our fingers here in upstate NY and longing for the end of winter too to see how many of our colonies made it.
    As of a couple weeks ago i had 23 of 26 still going but we will see. This last couple months of winter always seems to be the telling time for survival at least in my area.

Even with all the problems I had with mine I may give them another go. I got them two years ago, the first year they were released to the public. I'm hoping it was just an issue with OHB being new at selling them. However, out of my 5, having 4 die of EFB and the 5th supersceding only to need constant support, I'll definitely be holding my breath. I've never had EFB before and it's unfortunate I got it the year I tried out the Saskatraz strain. All my other hives seem unaffected. But those strains came from OHB's VSH Italians. With that said, and in my experience, I would say OHB's Italians are more resilient to brood diseases and many of my Italians received from the same order as the Saskatraz are still alive today.

I've since been on lockdown, burning/melting all old wax - not reusing anything, scorching the inside of my equipment, etc. I also have TerraPro on hand just in case.

Could it have been coincidence? Maybe. Should I try them again?

i have a couple observations i am wondering if anybody has experienced. right now i have good size saska clusters with no colony losses yet this winter.
    these bees are quiet. when my other colonies are out for cleansing flights (2 or 3 this winter), the saskies stay home. and they have almost zero die off. i am used to a handful of dead bees on the bottom boards come spring. saska colonies are just a few.
    i was not impressed at all by them last year. still giving them hope and interested to see how they do this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by COAL REAPER View Post
    i have a couple observations i am wondering if anybody has experienced. right now i have good size saska clusters with no colony losses yet this winter.
    these bees are quiet. when my other colonies are out for cleansing flights (2 or 3 this winter), the saskies stay home. and they have almost zero die off. i am used to a handful of dead bees on the bottom boards come spring. saska colonies are just a few.
    i was not impressed at all by them last year. still giving them hope and interested to see how they do this spring.
    what was it you were not impressed with last year? honey production? Seems like their winter survival has been good from your post.

what was it you were not impressed with last year? honey production? Seems like their winter survival has been good from your post.
    worth mentioning, this is a small sample size, 2 saskatraz. they were building up alright enough and then just stalled. i have been speculating why. i dont feel i messed with them too much. i installed them on drawn comb. i wanted to encourage drone production so i put frames of drone comb towards the outside of boxes, probably 3 frames worth per box. maybe too much. i left them alone for two weeks and at that point there was eggs but no larvae so i added two frames of brood from overwintered colonies. maybe that introduced some mites. about 6 weeks after queens started laying it was like they shut down for summer dearth. small brood nests, maybe 3-4 frames. but that is the peak of our nectar flow. and they had ample empty comb. thought maybe they were preparing to swarm but they never did. harvested one medium of honey. i ensured in fall that the original queens were still in the boxes. they were laying well again. fed 2 gallons of syrup in the fall. did not sample for mites but i treated with apivar in mid-july. rest assured, i have not given up on them.

i forgot to mention that they are very super gentle and calm on the comb!

i installed them on drawn comb. i wanted to encourage drone production so i put frames of drone comb towards the outside of boxes, probably 3 frames worth per box.

I believe this is too many drone frames. I believe the percentage should be around 13%? And if they had to draw all those frames out they used an awful lot of energy doing this. Deb

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    I believe this is too many drone frames. I believe the percentage should be around 13%? And if they had to draw all those frames out they used an awful lot of energy doing this. Deb
    may be. i kept worker comb in the middle and all frames were drawn already. of the inspections i did, there was always available worker comb to lay in. had they drawn all frames and made a super of honey i would have been impressed.

yes, i have read colonies like to have 10-15% drone comb when grown. does anybody increase this percentage in colonies where you wish to promote drone rearing?

Coal reaper, I’m just curious, do you have a separate yard just for mating?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast