Saskatraz Updates? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 113
  1. #41

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Well, regarding the swarming trait, the thing is that it's not predictable, and when it occurs in the spring (at least in our area) your production is massively reduced (maybe 1/4 production of a non-swarmed colony). Yes, a fall swarm is not as impactful, but the simple fact that 3 of 5 first-season queens have swarmed is definitely concerning. I'd much rather directly manage varroa through a variety of mechanisms than deal with swarming and the resulting production losses.
    Well stated and I strongly agree.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Delhi, Delaware Cty, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldsap View Post
    The 5 saskatraz- no swarming.yet. Golden rod and asters are just starting and a little star thistle here and there. Last year every May split we had (italian queens) swarmed in August. So it might not be the breed but something else triggering the swarming.
    We had 13 colonies to overwinter last year, 9 successfully; of the 4 that died, 3 were late caught swarms and the last one died in April, we had a very long hard winter. Not one of our hives has swarmed this year except the 3 Saskatraz. I was hoping for a supersedure so we could have new queens but it didn’t happen.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA, USA
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    What is the claimed Saskatraz mite resistance/tolerance mechanism(s)?
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Delhi, Delaware Cty, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    You can find all information on them at saskatraz.com
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA, USA
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    You can find all information on them at saskatraz.com
    I must be missing it.
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Delhi, Delaware Cty, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    I’m not sure what you mean, but I think you have to add www.saskatraz.com
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Crown Point, NY, USA
    Posts
    559

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Bumping thread back up to top. Updates? Varroa counts?

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Delhi, Delaware Cty, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    My update is all 5 queens swarmed, one didn’t make it back (laying worker). One hive is more hygienic than most of my hives. All hives in the apiary had a tremendous honey yield this year, even the swarms that were caught. All the hives received OxAcidVapor on 10/7, I didn’t do a mite count again.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    336

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    I tried these the first year they were available from Oliverez. Ordered five and about 10 Italians and 10 Carniolans to go with the order.

    The ONLY hives I lost that year were the Saskatraz. As they got smaller and sicker I soon realized it was because of EFB. All my other hives were uninfected. For queens that are suppose to be resistance to brood diseases I was less than impressed.

    One of them superseded late in the year and the new queen made it through the winter. She built up...ok...but is now my smallest hive going back into Winter. All others were lost the first year.

    Unimpressed and won't be ordering them again as my "run of the mill" or as some would say "non-namebrand" queens outperformed on everything.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Turnbow Hollow, Tennessee
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Too early for me to give an accurate account. I built about 45 nucleus colonies and queened them with Sassies. A couple got robbed out but the rest got off to a really slow start but are coming on strong now. I am feeding them heavily preparing them for Winter. Will get back to you this Spring after I have had enough time to observe how they over wintered and how they brood up.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Delhi, Delaware Cty, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnmyke View Post
    I tried these the first year they were available from Oliverez. Ordered five and about 10 Italians and 10 Carniolans to go with the order.

    The ONLY hives I lost that year were the Saskatraz. As they got smaller and sicker I soon realized it was because of EFB. All my other hives were uninfected. For queens that are suppose to be resistance to brood diseases I was less than impressed.

    One of them superseded late in the year and the new queen made it through the winter. She built up...ok...but is now my smallest hive going back into Winter. All others were lost the first year.

    Unimpressed and won't be ordering them again as my "run of the mill" or as some would say "non-namebrand" queens outperformed on everything.
    I didn’t mention that the one hive that seemed hygienic has EFB, no others. It seemed like a healthy hive at one time.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    336

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    I didn’t mention that the one hive that seemed hygienic has EFB, no others. It seemed like a healthy hive at one time.
    Same problem I had. They built up very well upon arrival and did just fine, not my best queens, but did well. I was VERY sad when they tested positive for EFB as again, one of the big things they sell these on is their ability to fight brood diseases - yet be my only hives that got them.

    I ended up burning all the comb in the hives when they died and charred my equipment. Definitely didn't want that spreading and I even got a VFD for terramycin so I'd have it on hand - if it were to spread.

  14. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Delhi, Delaware Cty, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnmyke View Post
    Same problem I had. They built up very well upon arrival and did just fine, not my best queens, but did well. I was VERY sad when they tested positive for EFB as again, one of the big things they sell these on is their ability to fight brood diseases - yet be my only hives that got them.

    I ended up burning all the comb in the hives when they died and charred my equipment. Definitely didn't want that spreading and I even got a VFD for terramycin so I'd have it on hand - if it were to spread.
    I used the terramycin for the first time on them; I usually have a “no tolerance” in my yard, I would have burned everything but wanted to try this, hopefully I’m not sorry. I have another hive with nosema cerana, which I will let die also, get rid of the frames and freeze equipment. That will kill the n. cerana spores as per Randy O.
    It seems like many people are very happy with them so I hate to label them all as “not good”; as with any honey bee genus you get a mixed bag so to speak. I do have to give a thumbs up on Michael Palmer queens. Never have I had a polite bee, and these bees are polite In the dbl. nuc one entrance faces back, so when working hives on either side you are in the way of the entrance and the bee traffic. They actually waited for us to move, no bumping or bothering us. My husband and I were quite impressed.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

  15. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    336

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Still strange that I have over 30 hives and the ONLY ones that get EFB are the ones that are suppose to be resistant to it. Also lost 4 of the 5 and the remaining superseded.

    In my eyes, not looking good. I'll stick to my local "mutts" as they seem to be the only thing that absolutely crank!

  16. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Erin, NY /Florence SC
    Posts
    3,571

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Well, regarding the swarming trait, the thing is that it's not predictabl...... I'd much rather directly manage varroa through a variety of mechanisms than deal with swarming and the resulting production losses.
    I agree...I'll manage mites without depending on swarm traits. We keep and manage hives in single deeps most of the year and we keep them looking like "Sumo Wrestlers" as Randy Oliver would say. Swarm management/ prevention is right at the top of our list of priorities for successful wintering. A brood break in late summer means I am hedging my bets against a strong winter cluster hatching in time as well as impacting that late seasonal honey gathering I need to fill center combs for winter. We should factor in we have not had 4 straight days without rain since May (at least here in the Finger Lakes Region of New York) and yet a surprisingly strong spring flow into mid summer. This crowded many hives by mid August and also kept bees confined for way too much time. We heard from quite a few of "our" beekeepers they had late swarms this year.


    We also have a rule about adding any new "Bullet Proof" stock.to.our own stock, wait and see., We have seen many over our 25 years and few added up to half the hype. I am happy to see folks here thoughtful enough to test and post new stock information. Even in small numbers we can make deductions over the course of many posts. We need new genetics in the US for certain....I wish we would see more influence from the Guelph Buckfast project. Perhaps we could get Ian and Jean Marc working on that for us, in their spare time :-)

  17. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Delhi, Delaware Cty, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    First, shame on me for not identifying correctly what was wrong with the Saskatraz hive; I believe it is PMS not, again, not EFB. I believe our mite rolls were off when we did them it was so humid here; that hive rolled 1 mite, but on one side of this hive we had to treat because of high mite counts, the other side was another Sas. queen that rolled 1, and the next two were in the teens.
    As for Joel’s comment above regarding Buckfast, 2 years ago a guy from Norwich drove up to Fergusons and brought down some Buckfast queens. I bought 3. Still have one, that’s the hive that has n. cerana. The other hive swarmed and became really nasty and we requeened it with a Sas. this year. Calmed it right down but of course it swarmed. That is my experience with Buckfast ( from Weavers too) that when they swarm they get nasty.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

  18. #57

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    ..I wish we would see more influence from the Guelph Buckfast project. Perhaps we could get Ian and Jean Marc working on that for us, in their spare time :-)
    Ian who?
    Jean Marc who?

    https://aristabeeresearch.org/

    The second video has has subtitles in English and it is about BartJan Fernhauts work in Hawaii and presenting Baton Rouge and Marken Group in Holland as well.

    In the latest Buckfast Breeders Magazine (3/2018) there is a story by Sascha and Ulrich Müller of a VSH meeting where BartJan Fernhaut has been teaching. He told that they have in Hawaii ( 4 fulltime beekeepers helping him) queens which produce 100% VSH offspring. ( "100% VSH Verhalten erbstabil nachzuziehen") They are not Buckfast, more like Italian.

  19. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Great Falls Montana
    Posts
    7,776

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    I want to steal a little from this elderly thread. It is good to try new lines of bees and just when I have settled on a winner, the producer has the temerity to be 83 and is trying to find someone to take over his business. I love his bees, they are not mite proof in my location but are definitely resistant. I treat un apologetically but only once a cold country year. The outcrosses are not hot. I don't tolerate defensive bees. They are mite biters. I talked to Mr. Carpenter the other day and he is currently selecting next years breeders. He picks shirt sleeve bees with great production and then examines the dropped mites for battle damage. Only colonies where 75% or more of the mites show carapace damage or missing legs are chosen. Give Carpenters Apiaries in Frost proof Florida your consideration. If you are looking for a queen rearing operation, that is available for a price too I am sure.

  20. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Delhi, Delaware Cty, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by MimbresBees View Post
    Bought 5 queens last season, all over wintered fine, no loss here in S.Or.
    They filled out 2 deep and 1 medium 10 frames by mid april and have 2 supers on each now, blackberries are blooming here on the Rogue.
    We'll see how honey production stacks up against the old sol caucs, palmer carnis, OH mike's russian, and ferguson buckfasts this season.
    How did all your hives do?
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

  21. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Delhi, Delaware Cty, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,488

    Default Re: Saskatraz Updates?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I want to steal a little from this elderly thread. It is good to try new lines of bees and just when I have settled on a winner, the producer has the temerity to be 83 and is trying to find someone to take over his business. I love his bees, they are not mite proof in my location but are definitely resistant. I treat un apologetically but only once a cold country year. The outcrosses are not hot. I don't tolerate defensive bees. They are mite biters. I talked to Mr. Carpenter the other day and he is currently selecting next years breeders. He picks shirt sleeve bees with great production and then examines the dropped mites for battle damage. Only colonies where 75% or more of the mites show carapace damage or missing legs are chosen. Give Carpenters Apiaries in Frost proof Florida your consideration. If you are looking for a queen rearing operation, that is available for a price too I am sure.
    Thanks for the good info. Deb
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •