changing hives?

Thread: changing hives?

Default changing hives?

Good afternoon! I built a langstroth hive and mounted it on a post about 1 meter or 3 feet in height to lower the risk of my dogs being stung or otherwise disturbing the hive. But now that i'm thinking about it, this course of action limits my ability to add brood boxes/supers as it won't take long to reach a height where I will need a ladder to do an inspection. I would like to take the frames out of the mounted hive and place them into a second hive that will be on cinder blocks directly adjacent to the original, mounted hive. I was curious, is this a mistake waiting to happen or does this seem logical? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Shouldn't be a problem. Ide do it in late morning once they're flying good. Setup the new boxes and transfer over frames w/bees. Take down original hive and bang out the bees onto new new hive. Don't leave the original hive up or bees will return to it and cluster inside.

When I am upsizing nucs to 10 frame boxes. I move the nuc off hive stand. Place 10 frame in it's spot. Then transfer over frames. Closer you can get the entrance to original the better. But they'll figure it out if you can't.

Default Re: changing hives?

Another solution is to make a raised platform next to the existing hive and stand on that instead of the ground.

My bees are on platforms themselves, so I stand next to them on the platform. When they get too high I use a small step ladder. When they get higher than that (which they do before the end of summer), I work from a scaffold.

Nancy

Putting up a fence for (1) hive will require a whole lot less effort than what you've done and contemplate doing.

Thanks, all! I should probably add that this is a new hive (package installed on 4/15/18). Will that have any bearing on the outcome? My understanding is that since it's a new hive, they may still be considered weak.

No that's makes it alot easier, less frames.and bees It's really not a big deal. I do it all the time.