Hands sting....gloves not cutting it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hands sting....gloves not cutting it.

OK...im getting tired of dealing with hands getting stung. I've got (what I thought were some nice) goat skin leather beekeeping gloves. They are now three years old but still look good. That said I'm getting stung on the back of the hand, on my thumb and most recently on the tip of my index and ring finger. This is getting very old. Most of the time they are "prick" stings....not imbedding the stinger in my hand but definitely breaking the skin and stinging my hand. That said I did get a sting on my thumb yesterday where the stinger was set and would not subside until I pulled the glove off and removed the stinger.

The dexterity of these gloves is already bad enough. Pulling bigger gloves over the beekeeping gloves just doesn't seem practical or functional.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hands sting....gloves not cutting it.

The goatskin gloves I got from Brushy Mountain have not failed me yet. Soft enought to feel a bee caught between a finger and the frame, tough enough that no stingers have penetrated. Gloves are about 10 months old. Got tired of getting stung on the fingers.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

i have switched to nitrile gloves i buy off amazon. Dispose of the pair after working. No stings through these gloves so far. I think because your dexterity is so much better you end up rolling/killing less bees and so they are all calmer.

You might try the thicker nitrile gloves, about 14 mil. They run about $4 a pair, are blue, and are usually in the paint department of the big box stores. I haven't had a sting through them yet. The 10 mil would give better dexterity, if you can find them in a color besides black, which is what I've seen locally. Harbor Freight might have them in blue. I've used the thinner 4 or 5 mil in blue but have gotten stung when using them.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    The goatskin gloves I got from Brushy Mountain have not failed me yet. Soft enought to feel a bee caught between a finger and the frame, tough enough that no stingers have penetrated. Gloves are about 10 months old. Got tired of getting stung on the fingers.
    Thank you so much for the reply

Are you using smoke? Doing so makes the bees much more docile. I stopped wearing leather gloves and now only use thin nitrile gloves (mostly to keep the propolis off my fingers) with smoke and now get stung fewer times than I did when I used more protection and no smoke.

Thank you for the quick reply. THis was helpful

Excellent tip. Was considering something like this but wasn't sure exactly what to get. Thanks.

Yes. I'm not sure that's the issue. The bees are definitely more calm when I use the smoke. I've just been busy rescuing swarms and pulling hives from homes etc. I like the Nitrile ideas though.

Plus + on black nitrile. Work great no stings can feel everything and move around better.

I switched over to 7mm nitrile ones from Harbor Freight last year. I do not recall being stung through them since then.

I was using thick nitrile gloves and they work fine but gets ripped after 4-5 uses. I am currently using "dish washing" gloves (Mr. Clean brand) and they last much longer with very good dexterity. Stinger will go through either one but bees generally don't sting through synthetic material used in these gloves.

On cut outs I like Danant rubber gloves. Just because of easy of clean up. Other wise Buckgo goat skin gloves.when thing get bad. Like pulling honey. Other wise rubber or bare hand.

I'm surprised the goatskin gloves are stung thru. Never had a sting come thru my Kelley bee gloves. I wear the fingers out in a year and replace annually. The key to these gloves fitting well is not to oversize the gloves. I wear a large and in 6'-3". I can wear a medium too but my hands sweat a bit more in summer.

Nitrile gloves are nice for improved dexterity but don't like bathtub fingers. For maybe 1 or 2 hives but not wearing for hours checking many hives.

Hmmm, I responded to this, but it seems to be lost? Anyway, I couple the 9mil gloves with welder's sleeves works very well. Have been stung once, but simply pull up on the glove material, the sting is removed without squeezing the venom sack. Here's the sleeves I have, but there are tons of them out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Elect...elders+sleeves

Some people recomend 5mil long cuff gloves in white
    I have gone with the HF 7mil blue ones(local availability, just down the street) for the last year , I would go with the 9mil but there black, and the blues bring enuff negative attention as it is.
    I have had a few stings get threw, but the "feel" advantage is great... especially when i can feel them jumping off the combs on to the backs of my hands, a heads up I need to change what I am doing before they get all pissed.
    cut outs I use https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grease-M...-012/206141649
    used them in the yard a bit to... wish they were a light color... sun damaged left in the back of the truck does fade them.. no stings threw them
    I don't do latex gloves for any use ... Past life I wore a lot of them(ems), then I do a LOT of haunted house work.. 20+ years now and have been exposed to a lot of latex not just in the build/run but I did a lot of molding/casting with the raw product . I don't see a reason to further my exposure with other options on the table.
    Last edited by msl; 04-29-2018 at 11:21 PM.

White leather baseball batting gloves is what I use when things start to go south in the yard or I'm doing something rough like shaking bees or making up nucs. They are leather, stop a stinger, and best of all don't get stuck to the propolise like nitriles do.

Dishwashing gauntlets from a resturant supply place work well. Invest in talcum powder to dust your hands and they get stinky if not washed and dried.

I learned that wearing leather gloves was the surest way to anger and upset bees, thus to get stung, because you have no feel for those that get under fingers. You crush them, so they release alarm pheremone. I set aside my good beek's gauntlets and tried dishwashing gloves. It was a little better, but I still coudn't feel the bees. Then I tried thick nitrile gloves. Still more improved feel and fewer angry bees, but not what I wanted. I went to thin nitrile gloves. Ahhh, much better. I could feel the bees much better and actually cut down on the number of hand stings. When I did get a sting I could just tug on the rubber glove to remove the stinger.

Last year I took the plunge and went glove-free. For routine inspects I go bare handed. I have had only one sting to the hands since then. Why? Because I can feel the bees and avoid injuring them.

I still wear thin nitrile gloves when I need to do something very intrusive and just a tug on the glove removes the sting.

BUT, I suggest you think about this; It took some time but I eventually realized that I had endeavored to get involved in a hobby that requires close, intimate contact with thousands and thousands of stinging insects and I WILL get stung!. Once I accepted this fact, I soon lost my terror of getting stung and was able to accept that stings happen. I certainly don't enjoy getting stung, but I 'ain't skeered'. This acceptance, along with learning to work with the bees in a more civilized, gentle manner, has actually reduced the number of stings that I receive.

Now, quit complaining about those annoying little through-the-glove-scratches, take a sweet young forager from the front of the hive and make her sting you on the shoulder meat.. Your arthritic joints will thank you!
    Never ask a barber it he thinks you need a haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post
    Last year I took the plunge and went glove-free.
    For lot of us down south, working without the gloves in not an option!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast