Hands sting....gloves not cutting it. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Hands sting....gloves not cutting it.

14mm?!?!? That's over half inch! I don't think a T-Rex could bite through that

Maybe "mil" is not short for millimeter??

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps thousandths of an inch? From the latin "mille".
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I use 7 mil nitrile gloves. The bees can sting through them but it's quite rare that they do. If I'm going to be getting invasive and likely to hack them off then I'll double up. I've never been stung through double 7 mil nitrile gloves.
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Perhaps thousandths of an inch? From the latin "mille".
    You’re right. When talking gloves “mil” means .001”. So 14mils is still only 0.014”.

My dad had some old gloves laying around that are very think. I gave them a try and because they are so thick my fingers move around inside I placed a frame in my hive on top of the tip of my glove and didn’t even know because my finger wasn’t flush against the tip. Those gloves are definitely not good when doing any kind of meticulous work in the hive. I may have to try some 14mil nitriles.

Have you tried Ansell Canners and Handlers Gloves? They are 20 mil thickness and a white color which the bees are not likely to attack like they do very dark colored gloves. Not meaning to jinx it but I have yet to be stung wearing these when I am installing Apivar. I am sure the bees are capable of stinging through it but they will really have to work at it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-PAIRS-AN...4AAOSw3h1ZSXUJ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GLOVES-Anse...oAAOSwP-5Z4sAF

When I wear leather gloves, I have recently tried a few drops of lemon grass oil on the back side and on the opposite side and rub it around to spread it out in hopes of camouflaging attack pheromone from being stung. It is no guarantee against being stung but a very pleasant smelling glove I would think may be less likely to get stung. Washing the gloves is probably the best option but it makes my gloves get stiff which requires oiling to soften up the leather again.
    Last edited by Live Oak; 05-29-2018 at 09:40 PM.

For the folks that use the leather and/or goatskin gloves, do you wash them in between use? Wondering if this will wash out any pheromones absorbed by the glove.

I wash my gloves but also don't get stung in hand at all [knocks on wood]

Gosh you guys down south with those nasty bees why don't you requeen with nice bees? I like working my hives and I don't have to wear any protection.

Hey Dan, it's easy to work the bees when they haven't broken cluster yet.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Hey Dan, it's easy to work the bees when they haven't broken cluster yet.
    This year that is a true statement

I use HF blue surgical gloves. Get hit every now and then but, it is great no clean up. You got to use the blue ones the skin ones they sting as well as the black ones.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-mil-...rge-68498.html

Never ever have washed my heavy cotton/canvas gloves in 13 seasons , doesn't seem to make much of a difference in my case

regards
    Brad
    Dad always said " Smart like tractor, strong like bull "

I normally wear the leather been gloves and have never gotten a stinger through them.
    I remember last summer I had a tree limb hit one of my hives and it was drizzling rain. WOW! Those bees were really hot! I got them straightened out and never got a single sting. I promise you it wasn't a lack of trying on their part.
    I recently started trying the 9mil black nitrile gloves from HF. My hands do get sweaty but I have excellent feel. My bees have not even tried to sting me through them. I like wearing some kind of glove so I don't get sticky stuff on my hands. I hate that.
    Funny part is I get syrup or whatever bees find tasty and the bees are licking the syrup off my gloves. It's a strange feeling having them buzzing on my hands, but I think in a way it's educational for me.
    Maybe that's the reason they haven't tried to sting me through the nitrile gloves is because they are coated in "goodies".
    I normally don't smoke my hives. Mostly depends on what I'm doing and the time of day I'm doing it. I normally use 1.1 syrup with some honey b healthy mixed in. I spray some on them and they are too busy licking up the treat to care what I'm doing. That's where I get the syrup on my hands.
    So I'm using the nitrile gloves most of the time now. I only use the leather gloves when I'm doing something that might possibly rip the nitrile.
    I have never actually washed my leather gloves. Leather shrinks if you wash it. I have wiped them with a damp cloth. Mostly to get some of the sticky stuff off them.
    My leather gloves aren't very think, but I have a hard time imagining a stinger being able to penetrate the leather. Not saying it isn't possible, but I think a bee would have a really tough time doing it.
    Let me know what brand of leather gloves your using so as I can be sure to never buy that brand.

Try applying wintergreen rubbing alcohol on nitrile gloves

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12