New wooden ware bad for captures?

Default New wooden ware bad for captures?

I rode along to help a new beek attempt a swarm capture today. The conditions were perfect.

We dumped the bees onto a sheet, and they marched right into his brand new deep with one frame of old comb Id donated plus 9 frames of plastic foundation. Hed also put 3 drops of LGO inside.

80% of the bees went in. Then, 20 minutes later they came pouring out again. They flew away and reclustered 20 up in an inaccessible tree.

I know sometimes its just random chance, but in your experience, is new wood bad for captures?
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New wooden ware bad for captures?

I am a first year beek. I started with nothing but newly built equipment and no drawn comb. I have caught 3 swarms sofar with swarm traps so it can be done. I wonder if the queen never went in and they all flew back out to her location.

I suggest the reason they fly out and back up to the branch was because you did not have the queen. They realized the queen was missing and flew back out and up to her in the tree. I may or may not be correct, but new woodenware has never caused bees to abscond back out in my experience.

I never use lemon grass oil on a swarm capture new or old woodenware. May have been too much oil and drove them out.

I use lemon grass oil on every capture that I put into emty new equiptment. I do keep it to two or three drops. Knock on wood, I have not caught that many but none have left. I go with Ray's answer as being most likily.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Old wood seems to work better, but I have captured swarms in new wood before.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Wow, that's impressive, 3 swarms! Where did you place the swarm traps, f
    ields, woods, near your bees?

I caught 3 swarms last year in new traps built right before being put out. Put out 5 last year, so far have 6 out this year and 2 more to place when I can find someone willing to let me put them out.