Tupelo honey

Thread: Tupelo honey

Default Tupelo honey

The next three weeks or so is the buzz the harvest of Tupelo honey. But the Tupelo, the tree, its blossoms and the honey they produce, with a huge helping hand from the honeybee, is under pressure. “You have a very sought-after plant that is not doing well and is being over-foraged,” said Jeff Pippin of the Florida Department of Agriculture, which regulates beekeeping in the state. (Port St Joe Star)
    http://www.starfl.com/news/20180426/...n-about-tupelo
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I tried tupelo Honey last year for the first time. I didn't really care for it.

Default Re: Tupelo honey

We have the same tupelo here and lots of it here on the lake and even in my yard and never see a bee on it.Its in bloom right now.

Clover is worthless in Florida. The same plant in a different place can produce differently.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

I don’t want to try Tupelo honey. I have an unrealsonable expectation of it because of the van Morrison song.

Wow. Interesting read. I'm in nw Florida and was thinking of placing a hive or two in my friends yard in Panama City. Do you think it would get any 'cadillac' honey? I don't have tupelo here, but have gotten very good reviews on my wildflower honey from those that have bought it. My husband usually would only eat Tupelo, saying he doesn't like the others, which is why I've thought about bringing a hive or two over there. Is it legal to transplant some in other wet areas in the Panhandle? Maybe in an area cypress do well?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Quote Originally Posted by aiannar974 View Post
    I don’t want to try Tupelo honey. I have an unrealsonable expectation of it because of the van Morrison song.
    You are cracking me up with that one aiannar974! It is a good song...
    “My child, eat honey, for it is good, and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste.” (Proverbs 24:13)

You can move your bees anywhere within the state of Florida with the landowner's permission. I would suggest carrying your Apiary Certificate while you are on the road. If you pass an interdiction station/ agricultural inspection station you must stop.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

When the state apiary guy said tupelo was over-harvested, what did he mean by that? That he felt there were too many beekeepers flooding the area, or that the trees were somehow being damaged by lots of bees collecting the nectar? I thought that if the tree didn't have enough water, it wouldn't make as much nectar. But with how he said it, is nectar produced under demand, like a dairy animal produces more milk when the demand increases from its offspring (or dairy farmer)? Interesting, this is something I never thought about until now.

Too many beekeepers! It is actually better pollination for the trees.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

Nicole, I believe the tree is being cut down too often

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    You can move your bees anywhere within the state of Florida with the landowner's permission. I would suggest carrying your Apiary Certificate while you are on the road. If you pass an interdiction station/ agricultural inspection station you must stop.
    What do these look like? I would be on hwy 98 east bound.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Ok, over harvested as in a forestry perspective! Lol!

And I could imagine all the frustration with too many beekeepers around too.