How to move hives ten feet?

Default How to move hives ten feet?

I moved my two hives ten feet today to a more permanent level location. I taped up the hole in the entrance reducer so they canít get out. I read that I should leave them in the hive for 72 hours and then they will reorientate when I let them out. Will I be fine with ventilation for that long? I also read that 24 hours may be good enough if I place things in front of the door when I let them out. The obstacles will trigger them to reorientate. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How to move hives ten feet?

They'll figure out 10 feet, I'd just open them and remove all of the stands/hives at the old place. Put some grass in the entrance or sticks and leaves in front of them. They'll be confused for a week, flying back to old place but they'll also find the new place for just that short of a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    They'll figure out 10 feet, I'd just open them and remove all of the stands/hives at the old place.
    Ide so the same. Do it on a warm day so everyone can find their way back in good weather.

Leaving them locked you for 3 days can be pretty stressful in warm weather. They'll need water and ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by FeverBee View Post
    Will I be fine with ventilation for that long?
    No.

Good odds of killing them all.

Open the doors, and if they are not already dead, as others have said they will figure out 10 feet.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I moved my two hives ten feet today to a more permanent level location. I taped up the hole in the entrance reducer so they canít get out. I read that I should leave them in the hive for 72 hours and then they will reorientate when I let them out. Will I be fine with ventilation for that long? I also read that 24 hours may be good enough if I place things in front of the door when I let them out. The obstacles will trigger them to reorientate. Any suggestions?
    Whenever I need to move a hive more than a foot or two - when there are other hives nearby - I place the hive onto a wheeled base (converted sack-truck), then move it 2 feet or so every few flying days. No need then for blocking entrances, ventilation etc., and not too much risk of disoriented bees drifting into other hives.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

We have moved ours by closing, moving, laying a foam board in front of the hive, reopening, the bees see the foam and fly out and around it. Do the orientation flight.
    Zone 6b: 18 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I don't understand the angst about moving a beehive. Right at dusk after the foragers have returned just move it. They'll figure it out in the morning. I'm not convinced bees have enough brain to have memory and that they aren't just re-plotting.
    Zone 5B

I just moved two hives 15 feet I moved them at night and put cedar branches in front of hives they did fine just move everything from old location.

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    I'm not convinced bees have enough brain to have memory and that they aren't just re-plotting.
    Interesting question, however I have several times seen that they do have long memories.

An example would be a call I got from a hobbyist friend cos her hive was getting robbed. I went and took a look, she had left wets by the hive so the "bees could get the honey". The result was a massive swarm of robbers which was now overwhelming the hive. I could see the bees had lost control and this was not going to be fixable so I suggested taking it away for a few weeks to recover. So I took it to a site down the road and reduced the entrance right down, went back in a bit over a month, and all was well with it so I dropped it back to her place, but re positioned it to a better spot maybe 50 yards away.

Went back the next day to check all was well, and was surprised to see a number of bees flying around the old spot where the hive had been. Despite being away over a month, those bees had remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    I don't understand the angst about moving a beehive. Right at dusk after the foragers have returned just move it. They'll figure it out in the morning. I'm not convinced bees have enough brain to have memory and that they aren't just re-plotting.
    Will they ? Just stand by that hive and watch the foragers as they leave. Do they stop in their tracks and re-orient ? No - they just come barreling out and take off in the direction of where they were foraging yesterday. Then later they'll return to the coordinates where their hive used to be - only it isn't there any more. So they start circling around trying to find it. A few feet they can cope with - anything more than that and they're in trouble.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

If you choose a day when there is a light wind blowing from the new site to the old site, bees in the hive will realise something is up and nasanov fan, and the bees circling at the old site will pick it up and move towards it. This can work over quite a surprising distance.

But you've always got to be prepared to lose a few bees.

With only 10 feet I don't concern myself with all the gymnastics, just move them and walk away.
    Do force re-orientation of course (because it so is darn easy, why NOT do it).
    Otherwise they will find the way back just fine (just by smell; bees have a fine sense of scent ).

IF nights are cold - do put an empty box in place of the moved hive.
    Any straggles will collect there - dump back into the hive in the evening.
    Last edited by GregV; 04-23-2018 at 08:45 PM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

This is too late to be helpful to the above posting:

the obstacles are correct. It helps them. How'd it work out? I'm guessing they flew to the original location for a few days and then sideways to the new location for a day or two.

I had one hive move that was long and over our yard and driveway here's a short description.

Moving a hive is easy, depending on the orientation of the move. For example, once I caught one of my swarms on the ground 100 feet from my hive stand. I hived the swarm, put the hive on a wagon which I move a few feet a day...fortunately backing it up from its normal flyway.

Thanks for the advice. Everything worked out.