2 frame or 5 frame nuc? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 2 frame or 5 frame nuc?

jw, good memory. I haven't heard of a follower board, but that sounds like a great option. We just got back from checking the two nucs and hives. Nuc one still has the two supercedure cells. Three of four in the hive they came from have hatched. The nuc also has 5+ emergency cells built. Nuc 2 finally has emergency cells, many of which are sealed. Both hives are doing well. Hive one has about half the honey super filled and hive 2 is filling in the foundation frames I put in there to replace what I pulled. I still have some deep frames mixed in, but am slowly switching over.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like they are really doing well.

Thought I'd share a picture of my mating nucs. This was taken about 7:30 this evening so there is very little activity but all three had bees coming and going while I was out there. They yellow box on the end is still empty.

20180423_191033.jpg

The box on top covers the mason jar feeder.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

We are feeling good about them. I am going to totally go nuts waiting for the queens to emerge and mate. lol

Yours look great. How long can you keep them in the mating nucs before moving them to 5 frames?

They are in there with a frame of honey, so only one brood frame which is now empty. A deep has about 3500 cells per side for a total of 7000. If the queen starts off at 1000 eggs per day, I have about six days before she runs out of room. Idealy, one would transfer to a 5 frame nuc before that happens. Breeders use the mating nuc a little differently since they are only after the queen (we want the queen and brood).The U of G website has a video of making up the mini mating nuc, the concept is the same.

20180423_191406.jpg

The three nucs on the right are waiting for the queens in the other boxes to get mated. The yellow one on the left is my walkaway split from Easter and the red 5 over 5 nuc is my original queen from the feral hive. She will go into a 10 frame box in another week or so.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Awesome. What will this bring your total to?

I overwintered two hives and a nuc. One hive and two nucs succumbed to poor management. Currently at three hives, two nucs, and three mating nucs for a total of eight. Hope to keep splitting until I get to twenty. Got my first call for a bee removal. Bees are in a cavity in a cherry tree and the owner wants the tree left intact. Going to take a look Saturday. May need to build a bee vac.

You are ahead of me, but I'm not as experienced and had to wait for my starter nucs. 20 sounds like an awesome goal. Please post pics of the removal. Exciting!
    I'm considering buying queens and splitting everything mid-June. Love the idea of not spending money on queens, but really want to maximize my number of hives. I put a cage over one of the emergency cells in hopes that I can get an extra queen to put in another nuc.

The benfit of using the Nicot system is that the cages are readily available. I haven't found the cages for the Jzbz cups yet and really need to find a way to harvest and protect qc's that I cut off of frames. To me, every swarm cell or emergency queen cell is another nuc waiting for some bees.

Hi j.w, are your mating boxes 2 or 3 frames? Looks like a nice yard there.

Hi Jade, jw. Im not as far along as you guys. Id love to study some of the queen rearing info. Right now, im about as basic , as basic gets...lol. im getting my bees next monday. Ive got allot built up in med. Frame stuff. I do like the simplicity of keeping everything the same. I havenallot of plans for the bees, and hope to grow with them. Jade and i have talked a bit on this subject, and i like the 2 or 3 frame queen rearing nucs. Havnt decided on which yet. I think the 3 frame may be the best to go with long term though. I'll probably initially go with2 farm, just because of lack of resources to start off. Any recommendations jw.? I do need to figure out feeding strategy on 2 and 3 frame nucs. Ie syrup, and pollen subs... Any ideas on syrup would help on the 2 frame model. As space is restrictive for syrup... ? Thanks, Richard.

Hi Jade, I think the rain will.move out here tonight or tomorrow !!! I'll be building out some med. Boxes, and mabye some 2 or three frame nucs. Awaiting some Devine wisdom on which to go with....lol ??? If I can figure out a strategy to feed syrup on 2 frame, those will be my starting point to build.

My personal opinion is that a two frame medium is too small for a hobby beekeeper who may go several days between working the hives. Mine are two frame deeps. This rationale is consistant with the BM queen castle. The deep version allows for four 4 frame nucs but the medium version only allows for three 3 frame nucs. As soon as the rain here stops, I hope to start checking queen status in the remaining three nucs. I have already found two of the five new queens. Rich, you will need to give your bees a chance to get established before making splits and by then you should have resources like comb, pollen, and honey to give the nucs without setting the parent hives back too far.
    For feeding, my two frame nucs are just wide enough to get a pint mason jar inside the upper box.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    The benfit of using the Nicot system is that the cages are readily available. I haven't found the cages for the Jzbz cups yet and really need to find a way to harvest and protect qc's that I cut off of frames. To me, every swarm cell or emergency queen cell is another nuc waiting for some bees.
    I put a cage over an emergency cell yesterday. Had to pull some empty frames to fit the cage on, but my thoughts are like yours. I hope it means another queen for another nuc. I wish it was a swarm or supercedure so I could remove it and stick it into a roller cage, but gotta go with what they give me. Nicot may be a plan for this weekend or I may wait until the dearth for it.

The nuc I built yesterday will hold a deep if I want. I am still transitioning, so what I pull from the mother hive is often a deep. If they build below the bar on the medium, it just gives me comb to put into a foundationless frame, so I'm currently not worrying about the box being too deep. I like JW's suggestion of a divider in the five frame nuc box. However, I'm having trouble finding instructions on best methods. What draws me to that idea is that I only need to make nucs, use one as two mating boxes and then remove the divider and move one set to another nuc. Less bulky equipment to store. I will probably try to build the next one with a channel to put a divider in.

I tried the split box method last year and observed that if it is not exactly level, that one side does not drain after a storm. I appeared to me that the bees do a better job of keeping their floor clean if it has a very slight tilt toward the entrance. I guess every waY has its good side and bad. Good thread!

I found a neat idea today. Instead of worrying about permanent divider board... using polystyrene, like pink or blue board from home depot. They have several thicknesses and you cut it the size you need. If you want a nuc of bees, pull one or 2 frames with a queen on it, put it into another nuc. Pull the poly insulation board out, and a couple of empty frames in it. When the brood hatches you got a 5 frame nuc to sell or build up a little for a real hive started. Just transfer to a full size hive and let it grow out. Then ya start over, and you got 2 queen breeding nuc again.

Bonjour
    2 cadres au début de printemps 5 cadres au milieu du printemps ,je crois.

Some say a disadvantage of a queen castle is the difficulty removing the remaining bees from one of the sections after having pulled all the frames out. Why not just put a lid on that particular section. Doing so darkens the section and the only light comes from the entrance. The bees will leave on their own accord, right?

Rich, divider boards and follower boards are not permanent. They are easily removed if not propolized. I have read that foam insulation board inside the hive gets chewed up by the bees. Other beekeepers recommend covering exposed surfaces with aluminum tape. I have no direct experience using it in a beehive other than for insulating the hive tops.

Quote Originally Posted by davemal View Post
    Some say a disadvantage of a queen castle is the difficulty removing the remaining bees from one of the sections after having pulled all the frames out. Why not just put a lid on that particular section. Doing so darkens the section and the only light comes from the entrance. The bees will leave on their own accord, right?
    Bee vac! Just kidding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast