How yucky is too yucky?

Default How yucky is too yucky?

After 3 years of no bees, I'm getting back into it next month. I am not sure how many of my old frames are re-useable. People do say "the bees will clean that right up!" but how much cleaning should I expect a package to do?
    (I am not worried about disease, and can freeze any frames before reuse to kill insects)

What might you advise?

Picture 1 shows a couple of the "least-yucky", Picture 2 the "most yucky that I'd still even consider". Picture 3 - what if there are big holes?
    frames1.jpg frames2.jpg frames3.jpg

For totally trashed comb, is there a way to re-use wedge style frames, or will I need new frames as well as new foundation?

Thank you for any advice!
    may-flower

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How yucky is too yucky?

Those frames look ok to me. I would cut out the small section of webbing on the one frame. As far as holes, I put a frame like that in one of my hives last year. Should have marked which one it was because now I can't find it, looks like all the others. Used two frames that had dead bees in them for some nucs I made up last weekend. Bees wasted no time getting the dead bees and brood cleaned out. I had forgotten which hives had those frames and was initially concerned when I saw all the bee parts on the landing board.

You can reuse the wedge top framea by prying the wedge cleat off and re-nailing it with the new foundation.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Its hard to tell if there's alot of tunneling in pic. The first picture seems ok to me. The other pics I'm not sure if ide use em. Good for bait hive. You may want to cut out the big hole damaged areas to fresh edges.

Keep in mind they may build funky comb in the holes. They may not draw it in the same plane as the current comb. Place a drawn comb on both sides of the frame in those areas. If you put just foundation they may draw off the hole into the void.

I agree 100% with JW.

I would probably lightly scrape some of the white area on the bottom frame of second picture ( like half cell depth ) and throw them in.

Had lots of mouse holes and damage in past filled just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBarn View Post

Had lots of mouse holes and damage in past filled just fine.
    So...how do you get the mice to hold still?

OK, I'll give 'em a try! Thanks for the vote of confidence

When it comes to mouse holes, it may be more efficient to just get a new mouse. Once they get holes, they don't seem to last very long...