diy screened bottom boards

Default diy screened bottom boards

I am trying to save a little money by building some screened bottom boards myself this year.
    Does anyone know of a set of plans to build their own screened bottom boards?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: diy screened bottom boards

I use the plans from myoldtools.com click on beekeepers pages, then screened bottom board. Makes a good sturdy bottom board . Quick, cheap and easy.

There are plans on this site under the "Build It" heading.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

See this thread. https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-Bottom-boards

In this post I describe my bottom board with pictures. Its very easy to make, even with limited tools. A table saw helps, but even if all you had was a hand saw this bottom board would be easy to make if you bought your lumber in the right widths.
    Zone 6B

Tombee,

Some years ago I made a dozen screened bottom boards (SSB) according to these plans from here on bee Source (https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...m-Pallet-Scrap ) Basically from scrap "stickers" from Home Depop and I plan to make more. They are excellent quality and are rugged. However you will need access to a table saw, a biscuit joiner, and somme additional one X scrap wood, plus clamps, screws, and glue. Unfortunately I cannot get that BeeSource site to open properly, but perhaps you will have better luck. Fortunately I have a hard copy print in my file. One advantage is that the design makes use of a dado in the scrap to slide a mite drop board into.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Creek Steve View Post
    Some years ago I made a dozen screened bottom boards (SSB) according to these plans from here on bee Source (https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...m-Pallet-Scrap )
    Unfortunately I cannot get that BeeSource site to open properly, but perhaps you will have better luck.
    The thread that Steve linked opens fine, but the main point of that thread is photos in the original post that are hosted by Photobucket.com. Those photos were posted to Photobucket when they offered photo hosting accounts for free. However, about a year ago or so, Photobucket changed their Terms of Service, and now demand that those previously 'free' account holders pay $400 per year to allow those photos to be visible to us.

Not surprisingly, many Photobucket account holders have refused to pay that $400 per year and have simply abandoned their Photobucket accounts instead. So those photos in that thread are not visible, and there is no fix (other than the Photobucket account owner paying $400 per year).

Don't use Photobucket for anything. There are plenty of other more reasonable options, both paid and free. My suggestion is to use a free account at postimages.org.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Radar,

I'm no geek so thank you for the explanation. What a shame that all the photos are lost because they were the key to making those SSB's. I think Photobucket shot themselves in the foot, but I guess that that's called greed.

Steve

If I was going through the trouble of making SBB's, I'd incorporate an oil tray or sticky-board.

My 8 frame design (Part 2):
    recessed screen top view.jpg
    screened insert dimensions.jpg
    The view from beneath picture shows the frame width mislabeled as 1-1/2"...it should be 2" wide
    side and end view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    view from beneath no screen or drawer installed.jpg
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

My 8 frame design (Part 3):
    SBB with drawer.jpg

The sheet metal pan is the oil tray
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

Go to beekeepers wood shop they have good you tube videos and plans I did modify mine with 1 1/4 inch sides to give you more beef under the stack , I did not like 3/8 after slide dado Pete