Another kind of spam ...

Default Another kind of spam ...

Just wanted to give you guys the head's-up on a new(?) approach to spamming:

I use MailWasher to intercept incoming emails, and this was how two identical emails began recently:
    Hi Little-John!
    We're testing a new weekly guide to trending discussions at BeeSource.com. We hope you find it useful. Your feedback is welcome! If you have any suggestions, feel free to reply to this email. If you don't want to receive this newsletter anymore, click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email. Thanks!
    A couple of aspects about these two emails smelled of bad fish - firstly they were sent to two different email accounts; and secondly, their 'unsubscribe' links were over half a page long (!) - so, rather than load any of their links to those really interesting 'BeeSource' threads, I did a Google for 'blah, blah, blah @mail.vesta.threadloom.news' instead.

Seems that "mail.vesta.threadloom.news" have a history of farming thread links from Internet Chat Groups and packaging these into 'Trending' newsletter-type emails, full of those (alleged) links. Can't say for certain whether those links are then malicious or not - I'm far too paranoid to find out - and I don't know if there's any way of stopping this activity. But thought I'd flag this up, just in case it is a sinister practice.

LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Another kind of spam ...

I've gotten the same email. What made me suspicious is I thought Beesource would have made an announcement they were going to be offering this new feature.

LJ
    Thanks for posting this. I got an email from bee scorce and it was the first one I remember getting. If I got more I was going to complain cause that is not why I joined this site. I just deleted it with out clicking.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

to avoid getting these or any other email from beesource:

> select 'Settings' at the top of any page
    >select 'General Settings' under 'My Account' from the menu at the left of the page
    >go through the general settings page and deselect any options that have to do with receiving email notification
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Square
    I did not want to dissable email messaging from any member that might want to contact me. I just don't like recieving form messaging or generic stuff or news letters. I have the new letters and private message notification dissabled. I had never recieved any other junk with these setting before. I have recieved emails from one or two members. The last message I got was a first.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

It is from us and we did make an announcement beforehand.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ite-newsletter

Just a newsletter. If you don't want it, you can opt out and it'll never effect you again

Kevin