8 frame medium hive package installation question

Default 8 frame medium hive package installation question

I知 going to establish an 8 frame all medium hive in early May in central Tennessee. I値l be using a 3 lb package and will be installing on new wood frames with new wax foundation. My question is, should I install the package into one 8 frame medium, let them get established and then soon add another 8 frame medium as they build up...or...should I just go ahead and put two 8 frame mediums together for the package install? I知 just not used to 8 frame equipment yet and it seems to me that one 8 frame medium super may be a bit small for installation of a 3 lb package? I致e installed plenty of packages in 10 frame deep hive bodies over the years but this will be my first time to install into an 8 frame medium hive. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Fred
    Murfreesboro, TN
    溺y child, eat honey, for it is good, and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste. (Proverbs 24:13)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 8 frame medium hive package installation question

I would install it into the single box and let the bees get established some first. Medium 8 frame box is fine for a 3lb package.

I installed two 3# packages of bees into 2 separate 8-frame mediums on March 31 of this year. 3 weeks later, they have just finished building out the one box, although I have heard it is possible for them to build it out in 10 days. I like what they did and would recommend the one box to start with, but keep an eye on them.

Thanks Ray and Ruth!
    溺y child, eat honey, for it is good, and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste. (Proverbs 24:13)

I use all 8 frame med.s. Put the next box on just as you would a 10 frame deep or any other size box. Make sure you put the next box on before she runs out of room to lay. Make sure she doesn't become honeybound. Even in the north you'll need only 3 med. boxes for winter. Feed heavy in Oct. I winter some in 2 med.s. Where you are 2 boxes for winter should be fine if fed heavy in the Fall and mites taken care of. Jerry

Appreciate you sharing Jerry!

I would start in one box. You may need to add a box in two weeks or so, but by then the weather will be warmer.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thanks Michael!