No Brood Leaving the Winter Shed This Year
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No Brood Leaving the Winter Shed This Year

A long and drawn out cold winter, very few mild spells up here this past winter season. My hives left the shed late and completely broodless. Itís a long way until the first spring hatch.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: No Brood Leaving the Winter Shed This Year

Ian, your bees are confined for a very long time in the shed due to your climate.
    Does the end of fumigillan production concern you?
    How do you intend to deal with nosema in coming years?
    :/
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

I actually quit using it because ďI thought ď it made the bees worst later on.
    I donít know if it was right, but a I know is my field trials convinced me to quit using it..,

Does this have any reason on why further investment wasnít put into this product... ?

Just one beekeeperís opinion. And yes nosema is a HUGE concern we have NO answer for other than shrugged shoulders

....Iím this close to a rant .... 🤐

WOW!

I saw the video of your bees going to town on the dry Ultra bee. No lacking for appetite, that's for sure.

My guess is your broodless state may be related to day length.

As helpful as you are to others, good Karma has got to be on your side. Let's hope it's the start of a new discovery and the best thing that ever happened to you, despite as shocking as it may seem right now. You just never know.

We'll be wishing you all the best. I expect you'll soon see spectacular solid brood patterns and a quick build up once pollen/sub is available.
    Hope your weather continues to improve.

Please keep us posted.
    Last edited by Lauri; 04-23-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Interestingly enough, we moved ours out 4 weeks ago because we thought the weather was fining up. We were wrong. They flew twice in 4 weeks and not for very long.

First pollen came in Friday afternoon for a hour, and then they hit it hard the last two days.

When we moved them out of the barns, they had two small patches of capped. My friend saw the exact same thing, 500 km north of us. The reason they brood inside has nothing to do with daylight. Maybe they keep a small patch all winter?

This is the latest we've ever seen pollen come in. On a normal year we have pollen the last week of March.

We winter 2300 doubles outside and they are in excellent condition. Even the monsters that have a box and 3/4 full of bees only have a couple of very patchy frames of brood. They need natural pollen to really get going in our conditions, that's all there is to it

No pollen here yet,
    Itís April 24 !!! Itís gotta be close

We just got our first pollen on the 23rd

First pollen here yesterday. I put sub on the last week of March. The better sheltered yards and strong hives mostly turned it into brood. Smaller hives pretty much ignored it until this week. It was just too cold.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Ian, have you delayed you early queens?

Pushed our first ones back to the week of may 14.

Last year, we were don't splitting then, this year, I still fear that will be too early.

I've wondered about day light length and brood rearing with Ian's metal shed. Either some light leaks in or it is not the only trigger. I could not picture how the bottom center hives would get daylight even with a door open. It must take a few warm days as well or instead of daylight. If I follow Ian, trouble keeping the temp down is usually the push to move them out. Also the push to brood up?
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

No one that Winters bees indoors allows any light to get in. It has nothing to do with it. There is no way for the bees to know that the days are getting longer when they are inside of a barn in complete darkness.

I've got a question how much pollen did your bees put in the combs last fall? Wondering if they had enough to start brooding this spring before they brought in the spring pollen.

Salty, last year the hives left the shed brooding ( ask B&E because we argued about that last year lol, he won)
    This year not a stitch and weeks later.
    Dan, I think that is a big factor. Iím noticing yards that cane out smaller were the yards I ran short on late summer pollen. That **** seed alfalfa caught me off guard. I assumed it was producing when NOT A THING came off it.
    But Iím regards to late winter brooding, there are pollen frames found in all

Brian, Iíve actually completely switched off imports and shifted my entire queen needs to a self sustaining management model .
    So Iíll go with the flow, no more queen shipment stress

Thinking about that late summer pollen. Could that be the reason bees didn't start raising brood? The bees were a little weak so they were waiting for new pollen to raise brood and not use what little body fat that they might not of had? Trying to figure bees out is starting to make my head hurt.

yes
    Without feed inside, they wait
    Supplement has stimulated them, we need pollen..., bees are a lot nicer when they have bellies full of pollen

How did the hives that received pollen ate come out of winter? With or without brood.etc?

Hi Ian, I noted that you put some Ultra Bee dry feed out for your bees. Are you using the 1,500 lb. totes or 50 lb. bags? Ultra Bee is a great substitute for real pollen until the trees start producing. I am a good bit further south from you but I am still able to get my bees started building brood in January. This can be a double edge sword though. I lost several hives during a very unusual warm spell followed by a very hard freeze a few weeks ago. Still licking my wounds and now making up my losses with splits and nucs. Have you tried mixing Ultra Bee or Purina Hearty Bee with your sugar syrup and feeding the mixture to your bees in while they are still inside the storage shed when you have a solid suspicion that you will be able to move the bees outside in a few days to a week. Not a lot but just enough to give them a nice protein kick to get the brood process started?

Quote Originally Posted by Andersonhoney View Post
    How did the hives that received pollen ate come out of winter? With or without brood.etc?
    Well, small, but Iím predicting by mid May after a bit of back work Iíll coUnt under 10% winter losses.

What does that mean? I donít know

Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    Hi Ian, I noted that you put some Ultra Bee dry feed out for your bees. Are you using the 1,500 lb. totes or 50 lb. bags? Ultra Bee is a great substitute for real pollen until the trees start producing. I am a good bit further south from you but I am still able to get my bees started building brood in January. This can be a double edge sword though. I lost several hives during a very unusual warm spell followed by a very hard freeze a few weeks ago. Still licking my wounds and now making up my losses with splits and nucs. Have you tried mixing Ultra Bee or Purina Hearty Bee with your sugar syrup and feeding the mixture to your bees in while they are still inside the storage shed when you have a solid suspicion that you will be able to move the bees outside in a few days to a week. Not a lot but just enough to give them a nice protein kick to get the brood process started?
    I should buy it by the tote
    I fed 10 bags within a week, they are on soyflour now I TIL I get pollen , hopefully tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast