How long do you keep a swarm sealed up?

Default How long do you keep a swarm sealed up?

A day or two or over night?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How long do you keep a swarm sealed up?

To keep them from leaving? I've never sealed one up and never had one leave. They've always been happy to have old comb to start with.
    Owner of Honey Hound Farm. www.honeyhoundfarm.com

Only as long as it takes to transport them back to the yard and/or stick them in their new boxes if they've arrived in a non-standard carrying box.

I don't get the point of penning bees in, ever, except for when moving hives.

If possible I try to give them a frame of open brood as an anchor, but sometimes I just don't have that resource to spare, so they've got to just lump it. I figure that unlike a split, they were actively looking for a new home so they ought to hush up and be grateful and settle in.

Nancy

Once transported and to final resting spot I open them right away. Typically I leave queen in a queen clip for atleast a day if not 2 before releasing.

Terminology between Northern beekeepers and Southern beekeepers sometimes gets confusing. The word swarm means different things to different people. The word swarm to me means something you catch in a tree hanging in a cluster. When I catch a swarm I don't ever remember seeing the Queen or taking the time to catch her.

If it's a swarm that moved into a trap, they already decided to stay there. If it's a swarm you captured and installed in the box, they may determine it's not a good place to stay since they couldn't get out for a while. Anchor them with a frame of brood. Drawn comb should also help.

Until the first dead bees start dropping. Reason for this is, to be sure not to bring any AFB into my yards. As son as they drop give them sugar Sirup.
    With own swarms catch, wait until other hives stop flying, move 2 miles and open up and feed.

I never lock them in. I have had only one swarm abscond and that was with a frame of open brood. Experience has shown that when swarm stays clustered on the outside of the box, they are not going to stay.

Swarm was taken from a cedar tree placed in plastic box with 2 boxes with wet extracted frames over , sealed overnight....opened up next day ...they swarmed soon after ..pretty sure the queen was in the swam...what happened?

Maybe they didn't like being sealed up.

I've picked up quite a few swarms over the years and never sealed them in. I only remember 1 that absconded the following day.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by oldforte View Post
    they swarmed soon after ..pretty sure the queen was in the swam...what happened?
    How sure are you? I've never had one that I was sure I got the queen abscond. On the other hand I've had a few that I was unsure of that did. My presumption was that I didn't get the queen. But....who knows? After all, we are talking about bees.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I had a swarm where I couldn't find the queen when I captured them, they instantly left, poured out of hive. I've also had a huge swarm leave cause the box was too small.

Other than that I've had all swarms stay when given empty drawn comb and usually caging queen for a day or two. I've caught about 50 swarms.