Swarm trap location......just how persnickety are those bees? Short video

Default Swarm trap location......just how persnickety are those bees? Short video

Thereís been a bit of talk about swarm trap placement lately. Some say the bees arenít terribly persnickety. Iím seeing a narrow window of preference. At least thatís how it looks to me. About a 30 degree difference in the direction they face, everything else seeming equal makes a significant difference.

https://youtu.be/oWeK4V2AOd4
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Swarm trap location......just how persnickety are those bees? Short video

Enjoy your videos Dan keep them coming! Major portion of my swarms are caught with traps facing East and Southeast. I wonder if it has anything to do with the location of the hives they issue from.

Default Re: Swarm trap location......just how persnickety are those bees? Short video

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Drone View Post
    Enjoy your videos Dan keep them coming! Major portion of my swarms are caught with traps facing East and Southeast. I wonder if it has anything to do with the location of the hives they issue from.
    Thanks!
    It is difficult for me to even guess. Within a 60 degree window, everything else seeming equal, 80% of the caught swarms over the past two seasons are drawn to the middle 15 degree positions. It is just a much tighter selection than I would have ever guessed.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Itís 3PM on Friday and I just got in for a late lunch. Another swarm has moved into the tree house. And, of course, itís the second trap of the two busy ones. Both now have swarms in them. I need to move them soonÖ.Iím fretting that other swarms are now passing me by since the primo real estate has been taken.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    ... Iím seeing a narrow window of preference. ...

https://youtu.be/oWeK4V2AOd4
    These two successful boxes face into the woods so the bees have to fly at curve.
    Why do bees prefer to fly at a curve and not straight to their landing board?
    Because they can slow down easier.

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    Because they can slow down easier.
    One of the 'undesirable' traps also faces the woods. It still doesn't get any love.

Wonder if it is the angle or just the way bees find home, a series of monuments. Is the choice more akin to drifting than the angle? If you turn the hives would the center hives still be the prime choice?
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    If you turn the hives would the center hives still be the prime choice?
    I'm probably not going to play with them too much. I think it is related to the direction they face. But, as I said it appears to be a very narrow window to be desirable. Just surprised.