Honeygate malfunction

Default Honeygate malfunction

One of my honeygates isn't sealed and is dripping honey. The bolt to the right side won't tighten anymore, it just spins around forever. It looks tight enough though, the left part of the gate seems to be the loose part. I can't tighten that screw though, even when using a spanner to hold down the back, and a power tool to screw it down tighter.

I'm not sure what to do. I checked to see if there was any gunk behind it, getting in the way of tightly sealing and there isn't. I'm left to wonder if it's damaged and whether I need to just discard it, or whether I can some how tighten it so that it won't leak honey.

Anyone have any feedback?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honeygate malfunction

Replace the whole gate, or better yet, the whole bucket.

Ditto...or at least the whole gate...might cost about $12

Troublesome honeygates are enough to make a grown man throw a fit!

I'm so sick of honey gates. Cheap or brand name it doesn't seem to matter. When I need a replacement I will get SS Ball valves.

If the nut is bottomed out on the bolt you could try taking the nut off and install a couple of washers and reinstall the nut. The bolt should not spin when you tighten it up.

I have found that most of my leaky plastic gate valve are caused by the gate valve door warping. I have had pretty good luck taking the movable part of the valve off and sanding it flat again. Just take a piece of fine grit sandpaper and put it on a very flat surface (I put the sandpaper grit side up on a glass stove top). Then rub the sealing side of the gate until it is flat again. Just check the sealing side occasionally until it flattens back out. The first time I did it I was surprised at how warped it was.

Maxant No Drip valves will work in a 5 gallon plastic bucket if you can find nuts and washers for each side of the valve. I did it until I got the tank... I'd probably use a new bucket each season as the bucket was not meant to take the pressure of holding and using the valve. But it does work..
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertn View Post
    If the nut is bottomed out on the bolt you could try taking the nut off and install a couple of washers and reinstall the nut. The bolt should not spin when you tighten it up.
    What do you mean by "nut is bottomed out on the bolt"?

I've found out that I'm missing an O-ring. Sounds like my honeygate might have multiple issues with it.

If you are missing the oring you should be able to find one locally. If the oring is missing that is probably why tightening the bolt does not help.

There are different types of gates. I figured that you had this type with metal bolts.

ibdydh.jpg

If this is the type valve you have and the bolt in the circle still turns easily when you tighten it up it is because the nut is has reached the end of the threaded part of the bolt. You can take the bolt out and add a couple of washers either under the head of the bolt or under the nut side of the bolt to give more room to tighten it down.
    1z71vnp.jpg

Yeah that is the type of gate and nuts that I have. Good to know that washers might fix it, thanks.