city ordinace

Thread: city ordinace

Default city ordinace

I have a friend who is having neighbor problems over bees.
    so in brief today he emailed me.

"Today I again spoke with the official at the mayor’s office who informed me, that while he supports me having bees in the back yard, the city proper is considering writing a new ordinance that will potentially criminalize backyard honeybee ownership on small lots within the city."

I would like to write the mayor on this subject but my life history is that I usually just enrage the bureaucrats and end up telling them to sue me and leave.

Is there anyone who can help me draft a nice letter to the mayor.
    The truth is simple. If it where complicated everyone would understand it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: city ordinace

Dear Mr/Ms Mayor: Enclosed please find my check in the amount of $250 for your re-election campaign. I, as well as thousands of other voters fully support your efforts to make out town more pollinator friendly.
    Sincerely,
    Chris Jeppesen, Beekeeper

Talk with your State and local beekeeping associations.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

One of the things Iowa has done is just pass a bill exempting the state and municipalities from liabilities for claims involving honeybees on public property. This will be a real boost for cities to enact ordinances to allow beekeeping. Sounds like your Mayor is headed backwards..Sorry to hear.

It probably helps to present a reasonable beekeeping ordinance to them. They feel the need for an ordinance, it should be reasonable. My main argument for backyard hives is that bees will fill any vacuum of bees. If there are no backyard hives, they will be in the trees where they are difficult to manage if they become hostile. It leaves a vacuum to be filled by Africanized honey bees rather than nice bees in peoples hives. Lincoln Nebraska has a pretty good ordinance if you want to copy one:
    https://lincoln.ne.gov/city/attorn/lmc/ti06/ch616.pdf
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    My main argument for backyard hives is that bees will fill any vacuum of bees. If there are no backyard hives, they will be in the trees where they are difficult to manage if they become hostile. It leaves a vacuum to be filled by Africanized honey bees rather than nice bees in peoples hives. https://lincoln.ne.gov/city/attorn/lmc/ti06/ch616.pdf
    This is an excellent argument. (Bees will be not just in trees but in wall cavities of houses, businesses and sheds.)
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 17 years; TF for 12; Zone 7B

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Talk with your State and local beekeeping associations.
    They should probably be informed. And can help you lobby for backyard beekeeping.

Since what your doing is not currently illegal, I wouldn't do anything rash or crazy that could offend people on the otherside of things.

Is your neighbor actually having tangible problems, or are they just complaining b/c they don't like it.

Frankly I don't see why any city needs any ordinances on bees. People can complain about a nuisance already and if the bees are a nuisance then they should complain and the beekeeper should deal with the bees. But if it's just that they are afraid or want to control what other people do, and the bees are not a nuisance, then the city should ignore them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Do you have a state bee inspector you could contact? They may have some good advice. I know in FL they have been very helpful with issues like this. (Except for HOAs),
    I agree you do not want to make matters worse. (I know how hard that can be)
    Print a couple labels for some small bottles of honey, "mayor what ever the name is, a beekeepers friend" send them to him.

If none of that works........
    I had a friend that had to get rid of his bees because of a HOA rule change. I asked him what you going to do? He said, shake them all out when i move. He didn't, but that place still gets a couple early Sunday morning swarms every year.
    " Every apiary starts with the first hive"

My town tried this a couple of years ago, actually they wanted to ban all hobby farm activity. The one legislator said the bees were included since his son stepped in a ground hive and was badly stung. Once we explained to him that those were not honey bees, but wasps, he was slightly moved. I think when we agreed to support an ordinance to ban wasp nests he actually laughed.

Once it was pointed out to the board that New York City recently allowed bee keeping and chickens, along with many other nearby major cities they rescinded the most of the proposals.

Ignorance can be fixed, only stupid is forever.

6.16.030 is hysterical. Minimize, adequate, maintain and manage. So subjectional. Just like 2 beekeepers, your opinion and mine may not align.
    So if your bee's swarm, did you not minimize swarming?
    What is an adequate source of water? Guess I need to put in a pool and add extra chlorine to keep them out of my neighbors pool.
    Provide an adequate number of hives? When I can only have (1) per 1,500 sq. feet.
    Maintain and manage boxes or hives so as not to create a nuisance? Just having hives may be a nuisance to your neighbor.

This document would of been a lead-in for a real discussion, maybe then an ordinance could be drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    It probably helps to present a reasonable beekeeping ordinance to them. They feel the need for an ordinance, it should be reasonable. My main argument for backyard hives is that bees will fill any vacuum of bees. If there are no backyard hives, they will be in the trees where they are difficult to manage if they become hostile. It leaves a vacuum to be filled by Africanized honey bees rather than nice bees in peoples hives. Lincoln Nebraska has a pretty good ordinance if you want to copy one:
    https://lincoln.ne.gov/city/attorn/lmc/ti06/ch616.pdf

You are in Utah! Utah has a state law that forbids municipalities from prohibiting beekeeping. The municipality may regulate the maximum number of hives but it cannot prohibit beekeeping.

If your friend is also in Utah they have nothing to worry about and the city cannot do squat except tell him he can't have more than five hives or establish set backs and flyways. In Utah beekeepers are legally required to register as a beekeeper with the state agriculture dept link, hopefully your friend has. Its only ten bucks and the registration fee goes to fund an apiary inspection program. Once he has it he is on solid legal ground. Have the mayor check with the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food for guidelines on what the city can and cannot regulate.
    Last edited by JConnolly; 04-23-2018 at 09:16 PM.
    Zone 5B

The city of West Jordan simply adopted the beekeeping regulations of Salt Lake County. Quite reasonable, if you ask me. Seems like a useful reference when you correspond with them. also, the State and your County bee inspectors can be of invaluable assistance.

OTH, the city of Murray put in place some rather draconian rules which effectively prohibit residential beekeeping, without technically making it illegal.

My advice is to look up both of these references.

sir that is not a beehive, its a very large birdhouse and the bees "just " appeared. i am currently checking current regulations and ordinances on the correct way to remove them .. with lab testing and and red tape it might take 10 -20 years, but I'm on it.