Walk away split help.

Default Walk away split help.

I'm planning to do a walk away split I haven't really found a thread or video that answered all my concerns. My plan is to split my hive and take queen and half of the bees to a new location and leave queenless hive in place with foragers. I don't have full frames of honey for them to have as feed will they be able to forage and use what they do have stored. I can put a feeder around with 2-1 sugar water but I don't have any in hive feeders. There are plenty of blooms out and its plenty warm here in south texas. Could I just move them 150 yards away or do I need to just do what I was planning and go way down the road?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Walk away split help.

Lot of opinions on this subject but I leave the split in the same yard most times. The only thing I might change is add a shake or two of nurse bees to the hive not staying in the original location, they'll need a few to promote to foragers. You referenced not having an in hive feeder which seemed to imply you had a entrance/Boardman type feeder, add an empty box and place the entrance feeder inside the box. You can also look up feeding option threads, feeding can be as simple as a jar inverted on a couple of sticks with small holes in the lid.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I split 2 hives. One has multiple frames with multiple queen cells and the other has no queen cells. Is it ok to take a frame with queen cells and place it in the other queen less split?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearup View Post
    Is it ok to take a frame with queen cells and place it in a queen less hive?
    Yes, yes you can.

Thank you! I kind of figured that I could. Just wanted confirmation.
    Last edited by Gearup; 05-12-2018 at 05:58 PM.