Queen without attendants

Default Queen without attendants

How long is it safe to leave a queen caged in a hive without any attendants in the cage with her? I installed a package yesterday that was different than previous 2. No sugar water can instead sugar cake, queen cage with cork only no candy plug and no attendants. Whole thing just didn't go well. As soon as I pulled the queen out I got nailed twice in the head so grabbed my top. No candy plug and didn't have any marshmallows so grabbed an old candy corn, slightly chewed to soften, and jammed it in place of the cork. I could have easily used the sugar patty but it was covered with bees and hadn't seen it yet. Everything else went fine and all were inside this morning. They have capped honey, drawn brood comb, couple empty combs and top feeder pluse a robber screen so all should be fine but I got to worrying about no attendants and will they feed her threw the screen. Standard 3 hole wood cage. If they want should I just go ahead and release her today or pull her out and stick a few workers in with her?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen without attendants

Depending on who much candy corn you put in there they could allready have eaten it and released her. They can feed her through the screen. Don't try to put workers in with her.

Good deal! I tried to look this up but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Default Re: Queen without attendants

Had that same issue a couple weeks ago. Was confused after all the research I did. The cork was in sideways with no attendants or candy. Put the queen cage in the hive with the cork still in. Went back a few days later to manually release the queen and the workers chewed the cork enough that the queen escaped. Worked out well, there's brood and eggs a week later.