Honey already?

Thread: Honey already?

Default Honey already?

I already have a supers worth of capped and at 50% of a second capped with the remaining pretty full of honey. The tulip polars havenít even bloomed here yet.

1 is it normal in the piedmont area of NC for this to happen so early?
    2. What do you all do with this situation? Take the capped out and replace with empty frames or leave them on and just stack very high? If I take now, then can I freeze the frames and do the extraction all at once or should I extract as I get them? ( I had it in my mind that I would do one big extraction in June- wow things arenít going as thought with bees......weird)
    3. Are others in NC seeing the same?

I am a second year beekeeper, and this is my first year with established hives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honey already?

add a super between the capped honey and the bees

I'm close to the same situation as original poster. What does adding one between them do instead of above? Do they just move quicker with that instead of thinking they are out of room?

Bees don't like to cross a honey barrier. So like they said you add a new super on top of brood boxes and move the old super up for them to cap. If you have to add a third you remove the other boxes and add the third on top of the brood and so on.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

Also should note that when they won't cross the honey barrier they look for other places to put honey. So they backfill the brood nest and your bees swarm because there is no room for the queen to lay. Sometimes no matter what you do they will not draw comb and the same thing happens. So it's always good to have drawn comb at your disposal.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

Kcnc1, I noticed a lot of nectar going into hives here also. Pulled the feeder on the production hive and supered it Saturday with three drawn and seven foundation. Bees were already filling the drawn comb on Sunday. Fast and furious.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

My experience is you get more honey extracting and putting those sticky frames back on.

Hey KCNC,

I'm just up the road in Greensboro, I have been noticing pretty significant traffic around here on the warmer days. Everything in my area is blooming pretty heavily now.

- Carson

Arson, do you have a lot of capped honey already? A super or more per hive?

Quote Originally Posted by Kcnc1 View Post
    Carson, do you have a lot of capped honey already? A super or more per hive?
    I don't have that much, I only have two hives. One of which is a newly captured swarm. The other is a 1 medium 1 short box with no queen excluder and in need of an additional box. That being said I have some capped honey but not a super's worth. But that could be solely because they are running out of space in the established hive.