Queen cell frame spacing??

Default Queen cell frame spacing??

On a frame that is adapted to hold bars with grafted cells, is there any reason why there is a gap between the top bar and the first grafting bar?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen cell frame spacing??

I looked at mine, the only reason I could think of is it gives me room to push the bar into the slot. I think it would be more difficult if it were tight against the top bar. Just a guess....
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 5 Nucs / 6th Year / T {OAV & MMK}

I would tend to agree with Robbin. Note that the gap is a beespace in width. No comb and they won't (in theory because this is my first time) propoplize the bar in place. You need to be able to remove the bar while grafting.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I have seen that for some frame designs, it would be difficult to machine a slot at the top, just under the top bar.

I am wondering how much of a problem propolis would be if cell bar was hard up against the top bar

I've played with several designs - the most successful so far are where the lower bar is attached to the side bars permanently, with the upper bar sliding in/out directly underneath the top bar, and held in place by a couple of cut-down aluminium nails inserted from above.

Must say that I do like the idea of bars being held in position and rotate for access - but I wanted to make mine as simple as possible.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I buy the JZBZ bars and use a screw through the side bars to hold each end. With a screw, you can turn the bar if you wish to get better access to the cells should they be difficult to remove and you need a little more wiggle room. Also, If I get a poor draw on a 3 bar-45 count graft, I can turn the bars & remove the 48 hour delicate starts and place them on a short frame with 15 holes to free up that larger graft frame or consolidate the cells for uniform coverage. Those just started cells are very soft and easily dented.
    I hold each cell cup individually when I graft and pop into the inverted cell frame so I don't have to remove the bars.

I like the JZBZ bars the best because they fit the cell cups absolutely perfectly. Not too hard or easy to get out when handling delicate cells. Light controlled pressure removes them without jarring.

P8050076.jpg

P4210224.jpg

P8081139.jpg
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

I will have to make wax cups myself as comercially made cell cups are to big for our Capensis bee