What to do with 40 bees

Default What to do with 40 bees

I installed a package of bees last Sunday. The time of the installation was 5pm. The temperature was dropping quickly so I did my best to empty the package as best I could. Outside temp was low 40s, windy with cloud cover. Despite my efforts, there remained approximately 40+/- bees in the container. If I had left the small cluster of bees in the container, they would have likely perished so I reinserted the can of sugar that came with the package and brought the cluster into my house. Due to a number of factors, mostly very cold weather, I have not been able to release the bees to allow them time to find there way back to their sisters.

Is it too late to attempt to reintroduce this small cluster to the main colony given the separation of time? If so, I was thinking of experimenting by introducing them to a nuc with a frame of honey and see what might happen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What to do with 40 bees

Just dump them in the hive.

40 bees is too low to start a nuc with. Let them sugar up on syrup and take them out to your hive and drop them in one by one. With full bellies, they should be accepted. Without any fanning at the entrance, they will not find their way into the hive so you will have to pick each one up and drop it in.

Deep fry 'em, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and enjoy!
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

Good point with regard to the fanning.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    Just dump them in the hive.
    Will do

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    40 bees is too low to start a nuc with. Let them sugar up on syrup and take them out to your hive and drop them in one by one. With full bellies, they should be accepted. Without any fanning at the entrance, they will not find their way into the hive so you will have to pick each one up and drop it in.
    Still learning but why one at a time? Would just dump them all in hive at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhwg View Post
    Still learning but why one at a time? Would just dump them all in hive at one time.
    yes, they can all go in at one time, but I think he still has them in the package. They tend to cling to the screen which is why they wouldn't come out at the original install. I'm guessing he will have to pick them out one at a time and drop them in the hive.