Doing first cut out from a house this weekend

Default Doing first cut out from a house this weekend

What does your tool list look like? The hive is located above a window behind some masonite siding. Hoping it doesn't run to far back between the floor joist. Bees have been there 2 years. Any advice would help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Doing first cut out from a house this weekend

Are you going from inside the house or from outside ?
    Are you doing the const. work or someone else.

Bee Equip
    Bee Vac box and shop vac
    Utility knife and blades
    sawsall and blades (cordless)
    Level or straight edge
    skill saw (cordless)
    Cordless drill - bits, screws, screw bits
    Hammer, wonder bar, cat's paw
    8d and 16d nails
    extension cord
    dry wall screws
    finish nails
    putty knifes
    several 5 gallon buckets, rags, sponges
    caulk
    great stuff - non expanding
    broom and dust pan
    drop clothes
    step ladders
    A helper
    fiberglass insulation to stuff the opening after removal
    Pencils
    camera
    electrical equp - screw drivers, dykes, wire cutters, linesman pliers, wire nuts, etc
    duct tape

I bring everything I think I could possibly need, and even then, you prob are gonna need something else.

Did one where I had to disconnect an outside coach light and outside elect box to get siding off, so that's why elect supplies go with.
    If going from outside, bring what ever tools you need to hopefully remove what ever kind of siding you will be dealing with.

Buckets with lots of hot water for cleaning your hands.

Plastic covered work surface to tying-in combs. It's best if this a good working height and sturdy enough to support a box of honey-filled combs. I suggest an old door on saw horses.

Two sizes of rubber bands:

* long colored ones (6 or 7 inches, doubled, flat and unstretched) I buy mine at Staples. Buy three times as many as you think you'll need, you can return any extras. These go horizontally around the frames

* ordinary large size brown ones (these go vertically on both deep and medium frames

Pre-load the empty frames with rubber bands, 2 long ones around horizontally, top and bottom ( a third one if you are using deeps) and five or six around the frame vertically. These are stretched and placed against the wooden parts of the frame, leaving the center area open for placing the combs in while lying flat on the work surface. Once you've got an arrangement within the frame that you like, then slide/scootch the rubber bands up, down and across to complete the cage around the whole thing. This is vastly easier than trying to stretch the rubber bands around the frame after you have the combs in the middle.

Keep track of up/down direction on the combs, perhaps by establishing some consistent marking by using the cut-edge as an indicator (flat on bottom, slant on top?)

If you can have a go-fer along to fetch stuff that you suddenly need, that's a big help.

Rolls of cheap paper towels. (and a garbage bin to keep things tidy.)

Rubbermaid totes for combs that for one reason o another are not destined to be tied in. Keeps the feeding- frenzy chaos/ bee drowning/ robbing down to a minimum.

Did I mention buckets of hot water? Well, some more won't hurt!

Nancy

Cameraman for the rest of us.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

I've only got 2 recommendations.

#1: drinking water, & practice first HOW to drink through your suit.
    #2: most importantly, take a MENTOR. Doing a cutout without watching one being done is a formula for disaster. Or check with your local club & ask to follow someone (aka 'help' them) doing a cutout. It will make all the difference. Watching videos just does not compare to hands-on experience.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasFreedom View Post
    #2: most importantly, take a MENTOR. Doing a cutout without watching one being done is a formula for disaster. Or check with your local club & ask to follow someone (aka 'help' them) doing a cutout. It will make all the difference. Watching videos just does not compare to hands-on experience.
    Even if you can't find a mentor, bring another person. 4 hands is more than twice as good as 2 hands.
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

Add a piece of masonite cut to the inside dimensions of the frames you will be using to be used as a comb cutting guide. You will also need long handled scrapers to cut the comb loose from who knows how far back. Bring a couple more buckets of water.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

If you did the cutout this weekend, let us know how it went. Details, details... we love hearing these stories.

It went well. The bees are in a hive at my house. I had some bee vac issues that i have to address before the next cut out. This was a swarm that had just moved in a week ago i would say, because there were only three small pieces of comb. I did figure out the house has another hive in it and they are most likely more established. So i get to do another cut out this weekend.

Congrats! A new hive is so much easier when there isn't a ton of brood/comb to deal with.

Be sure to feed them, they have no reserves to work from. Sugar water, whatever % mixture is right this time of year in your area.