Solar minimum phase the reason for the cold spring weather 2017 & 2018? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Solar minimum phase the reason for the cold spring weather 2017 & 2018?

I also thought that spring had arrived in VA after a couple of days of near 80's but it seems to have retreated as we are having cool night and day temps for a while. Have a bunch of mating nucs to make up before Saturday and hate going through brood on cold windy days.
    Johno

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Solar minimum phase the reason for the cold spring weather 2017 & 2018?

As usual, Lauri, your threads are often a pleasant and thought provoking diversion. Thank you. We have been seeing the transition from winter to spring, here along the front range of Colorado, for about a month now. Almost a "normal" year for 1-2 decades ago, but a bit different from the past few or several years.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

I suppose one could find the weather data for your own area for the last hundred years and match it up with the sunspot data and see if any trends show up. If a trend does show up it would be interesting.

Last edited by Lauri; 04-18-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    I suppose one could find the weather data for your own area for the last hundred years and match it up with the sunspot data and see if any trends show up. If a trend does show up it would be interesting.
    I'm getting real busy now, but next winter I'll be doing some research for sure. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Lauri Miller.

With all my whining about the cold weather and concern for my bees, I FINALLY got a decent day today to pop a few lids and try to get some feed into them. (Still in the 40's, but no biting wind and no rain)
    This is what I found. Surprised, pleased, actually quite amazed they have done so well with such poor conditions and virtually no foraging for sooo flipping long.
    The amount of brood is not known, but they sure look a LOT better than I ever dreamed they would. I wasn't loosing sleep over them , but I am a lot more content after seeing their condition.

Got to give credit to good genetics, good acclimatized bees, good fall prep and much more credit than I figured to overwintered stores being able not only to keep the colonies alive, but allow them to grow with out new spring feed coming in. I'm going to speculate day length is playing a Big part as well in their growth, regardless of exterior conditions.

Favorable weather headed my way, finally!(Or so they say)

P4150520.jpg

P4150527.jpg

P4150526.jpg

Lost about half my overwintering mating nuc colonies though. At this point ether they are good or they are gone.

P4170536.jpg

More queen cells due to emerge on Saturday. Good weather (forecast) should arrive just in the nick of time.

P4150529.jpg

My other batch of earlier cells was taken by a customer who was getting them inseminated. That worked out great for both of us.
    Last edited by Lauri; 04-18-2018 at 07:55 AM.
    Lauri Miller.

Nice batch of cells there. Going to do my first grafting this spring. If all goes well going to buy vsh breeders next year. By the way I've got 2 feet of snow that has to melt before I can think of doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Discussing the weather in this thread is fine.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that turning this thread into a political rant on climate connected issues is going to happen.

Further posts that don't respect that line will get "visibly" deleted.
    THANK YOU for your position on that Radar. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I have strong feelings on it, but this is the last place I want to hear it argued.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12