When to add 2nd brood box after split?

Default When to add 2nd brood box after split?

Hi,
    I just recently did my 1st split of my 1st ever hive from last year. It was a 2 box hive. Both now have new queens just installed 5 days ago, (discussed a little in another thread I started). and both now have 9 fully drawn frames...Drawn foundation from last year....not necessarily all filled with brood and honey. 2 honey in each box and others are some comb and\or brood eggs or mostly empty it appeared.

I was told to start feeding them right away after the split.
    But I am not sure when should I add the new 2nd boxes to each so they can get to work on new foundation?
    I have no more drawn comb frames since the bees are new to me last year.
    These boxes will both have 9 new pre-waxed plastic frames that will need to be drawn out.

When would I then add the super, (3rd box)? I don't think I want too much empty space too fast.
    Let me know any thoughts or tips please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: When to add 2nd brood box after split?

The rule of thumb that I've always heard is when you've got 80 to 90 percent of the frames full of bees then you add a box.

I did the exact same split. If the weather is warm (ie bees have no problem keeping the brood at the proper temp overnight), is there any reason not to add a box sooner than later? I am assuming the only reason you would not want empty space is if the cluster would have a hard time keeping the temperature high enough due to all the heat lost to the empty space in a new box.

Quote Originally Posted by COEngineer View Post
    I did the exact same split. If the weather is warm (ie bees have no problem keeping the brood at the proper temp overnight), is there any reason not to add a box sooner than later? I am assuming the only reason you would not want empty space is if the cluster would have a hard time keeping the temperature high enough due to all the heat lost to the empty space in a new box.
    I make sure there are enough bees to protect the new area for adding a second full box. I will sometimes only put a few new frames up top in the new box if the need a little space to grow. You have to keep an eye on them because they will start to draw comb out lid if they run out of space with a partially full box on top, but its better than them swarming because they didnt have enough room.
    I have a trailer park for bees. I think some fancy people call it an apiary.