First pollen

Thread: First pollen

Default First pollen

I see my bees bringing in a lime green pollen. Anyone know what it might be? I'm in the north east but I don't think there is much skunk cabbage around me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: First pollen

I saw the same the other day for the first time. I am going to call it a pale lime green though. i think it is hazel. skunk cabbage is more yellow. we had that the last week of February. some of the maples are an olive color, but this looked brighter.

I never thought of Hazel and pail lime green is a good name for it. They don't seem to have much of it,
    I mean there baskets aren't as full as you see in the summer when they kind of fall onto the porch.

Thanks, I was stumped and all my reference books are set up so you need to know what your looking befor
    you can look it up, go figure.

Here it's from the box elder that's blooming now. There is a lot of box elder up your way too.
    Elm has similar pollen color but it's not blooming yet.
    Our hazel bloom has ended and the flowers are falling.

Box Elder, I didn't think that was blooming yet.

Thanks

I found an awesome chart on Wikipedia that has color coded pollen with plant species - for example the other day I noticed an intense red pollen being brought in - it was henbit - never knew.

I saw that chart, very informative. I wish I knew more about this, I'm learning..

Forsythia is just passing, Pear is in full bloom, and Dandelions are just starting to come in.

Magnolia and Cherry are just ending too.

you will be a botanist before you know it bob!

Quote Originally Posted by bob393 View Post
    I see my bees bringing in a lime green pollen. Anyone know what it might be? I'm in the north east
    The timing is correct for Speckled Alder. I've always called it olive green, but I guess it could be lime. They grow in the same places as Pussy Willow. Bloom a bit earlier. From just before Silver Maple to just after Pussy Willow starts.

Quote Originally Posted by COAL REAPER View Post
    you will be a botanist before you know it bob!
    I would be happy just to get a handle on it.
    My only goal is to accurately judge a nectar or pollen dearth so I can be more efficient at feeding the girls.
    I really hate to waste money even if makes me feel good, there not pets you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    The timing is correct for Speckled Alder. I've always called it olive green, but I guess it could be lime. They grow in the same places as Pussy Willow. Bloom a bit earlier. From just before Silver Maple to just after Pussy Willow starts.
    Actually I saw an olive green pollen just after the lime green pollen, I was calling it avocado but potato, patato. I'm guessing Speckled Alder and Box Alder are completely different since Box Alder is actually a Maple but are there bloom times similar?

Quote Originally Posted by bob393 View Post
    Actually I saw an olive green pollen just after the lime green pollen, I was calling it avocado but potato, patato. I'm guessing Speckled Alder and Box Alder are completely different since Box Alder is actually a Maple but are there bloom times similar?
    Yes, Speckled Alder and Box Elder are different species.