Beekeeping in South Georgia (or North Florida)

Default Beekeeping in South Georgia (or North Florida)

I have been reading online and watching various YouTube videos (with a grain of salt until I know the source is reputable), but have heard little mention of beekeeping in my climate.

Can anyone point me to a good source of knowledge this area?

Especilly, I am wondering about running single deep broods, which most commercial guys seem to do here.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beekeeping in South Georgia (or North Florida)

I am not too far away from you - Jacksonville, Fl. I have to imagine there may be some associations in between us but I have not looked for associations in SE GA.

I do know that in NE FL they have the Jacksonville Beekeepers Association and the Clay County Beekeepers Association. Each of these appears to have Mentoring Meetings once every month. I plan to attend my first CCBA Meeting this Saturday. I have spoken with a few different members of the CCBA at various events (Farmers markets, county fair, etc.) and they have all been incredibly welcoming and informative. Most have also advised that by attending the meetings I can get connected with a beek that lives close by to be a mentor to me.

For me, this sounds like a great way to learn. All of the people you will be speaking with operate in the same climate and local so you can also build relationships with them in case you need help down the road.

Barry

How far are you from Moultrie Ga? Rossman beekeeping supply store is there, and they sell bees. They might have some ideas for you.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie13 View Post
    I am not too far away from you - Jacksonville, Fl. I have to imagine there may be some associations in between us but I have not looked for associations in SE GA.

I do know that in NE FL they have the Jacksonville Beekeepers Association and the Clay County Beekeepers Association. Each of these appears to have Mentoring Meetings once every month. I plan to attend my first CCBA Meeting this Saturday. I have spoken with a few different members of the CCBA at various events (Farmers markets, county fair, etc.) and they have all been incredibly welcoming and informative. Most have also advised that by attending the meetings I can get connected with a beek that lives close by to be a mentor to me.

For me, this sounds like a great way to learn. All of the people you will be speaking with operate in the same climate and local so you can also build relationships with them in case you need help down the road.

Barry
    Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to go to meetings right now, but if love to join groups after things settle down.

Jacksonville is about 1.5 hours South, so very similar climates.

I assume you keep bees. What size brood boxes are you using? How many boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post
    How far are you from Moultrie Ga? Rossman beekeeping supply store is there, and they sell bees. They might have some ideas for you.
    I think Moultrie is about 2 hours from me. I looked at their site when I was looking to buy packages, but they were already sold out for the year, but I'll look back into that for more info.

There is a training this Saturday near me, but I've got to pick up my bees Saturday.

I think I understand the basics, but would like to find sources to help smooth out the learning curve.

Single deep is a personal choice, but should work. I'm currently thinking of going all mediums for consistency and due to weight.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    Single deep is a personal choice, but should work. I'm currently thinking of going all mediums for consistency and due to weight.
    I had thought about that, but then what do you put in bait hives? I thought that a box of mediums was too small of a cavity for swarms to like. Also, can/have you overwintered mediums nucs?

I plan on running mediums for supers, and may get to the point of running them for brood boxes as well... too many choices to little time!

Also, where do you live? Climate wise I mean. Not that that it really matters, I see the videos of commercial keepers running deeps in Canada.

You've got to be kidding??? One of the biggest commercial beekeepers is in your home town, Baxley, GA. Gardner's Apiary / Spell Bee Company. Mike can certainly get you pointed in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Pryoe View Post
    I have been reading online and watching various YouTube videos (with a grain of salt until I know the source is reputable), but have heard little mention of beekeeping in my climate.

Can anyone point me to a good source of knowledge this area?

Especilly, I am wondering about running single deep broods, which most commercial guys seem to do here.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCreek View Post
    You've got to be kidding??? One of the biggest commercial beekeepers is in your home town, Baxley, GA. Gardner's Apiary / Spell Bee Company. Mike can certainly get you pointed in the right direction.
    Actually one of their out yards is on our neighbors property, maybe a quarter mile from the house.

I have seen videos where he talks about their operation, which was interesting.

I feel odd asking questions of a commercial keeper when I'm planning on going that route myself after a few years, at least as a sideline income.

I am in Covington County, Alabama and keep most of my hives about 10 miles north of the Florida-Alabama line. I run a 2 box brood nest that consists of a Deep and a Medium. However, most beeks in our climate run the single Deep box, or at least, that is my observation. Like Jadeguppy, I am working toward eliminating my Deeps and moving solely to Mediums, where I will likely run a 3 box brood nest.

You are correct about the swarm trap issues and I have been thinking about that. Seeley says that the optimum swarm trap is 40 liters. I am planning (always "planning") to build a 40 liter box that will accommodate medium frames and observe bee space. I am thinking about a slender rectangular box that holds two rows of medium frames stacked on top of one another. You should not have any problem overwintering medium nucs. I would suggest doing 5 over 5 or 4 over 4 frames though. Or maybe even stacking 3 nucs instead of 2.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to go to meetings right now, but if love to join groups after things settle down.

Jacksonville is about 1.5 hours South, so very similar climates.

I assume you keep bees. What size brood boxes are you using? How many boxes?
    I currently do not have my bees yet. I am still in the education phase (trying to learn as much as possible) while I am waiting to get them. My plan as of now (while flexible) is to start off with a single deep brood box and a medium for a super. There is a apiary local that sells hives and that is how they sell them. Although I do plan to get a second deep to have on hand. I am not terribly concerned of weight as I am in my 20's so a 80 - 100 lb deep, while not fun, should be manageable. From speaking with a lot of local beeks, it sounds like the Deep brood and medium super is their standard setup.

Good luck!

I had thought about that, but then what do you put in bait hives? I thought that a box of mediums was too small of a cavity for swarms to like. Also, can/have you overwintered mediums nucs?

I plan on running mediums for supers, and may get to the point of running them for brood boxes as well... too many choices to little time!

Also, where do you live? Climate wise I mean. Not that that it really matters, I see the videos of commercial keepers running deeps in Canada.
    I use the 40l swarm boxes. Putting medium frames shouldn't be an issue. If they build up the bottom of the frame before you move them to a full super, you can cut off the comb and install it into a foundation-less frame. I ran short on deep frame for a nuc I bought that I had to put in a deep, so I put in a medium frame. As I transition them, I will cut the extra off and put it in foundationless frames. Kinda neat to see. Swarm boxes are said to be best with open space.

I have not overwintered in nucs, but suspect a two story med nuc or moving them to a super will work. In your area, I'd just be sure the nuc is made with decent walls, not the 1/4 inch. Keep in mind that medium frames will fill faster. The cost is slightly higher, but may be worth it. I plan to try out 2-3 mediums for brood boxes.

p.s. I'm in the top of zone 9a. You are slightly higher than I am. We get a lot of Gulf wind.