European treatment free beekeeping conference in Austria infos and results - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: European treatment free beekeeping conference in Austria infos and results

i just finished watching the interview with norbert dorn.

excellent job norbert putting the conference together!

will be watching beesource members bfp's, juhani's, and erik's presentations next.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: European treatment free beekeeping conference in Austria infos and results

Quote Originally Posted by BeesFromPoland View Post
    hallo to everyone,
    as bonluk linked - we have published the films from Austria.

Squarepeg, not every speach is in German (if there is anyone that would help is in translating German speaking lectures and put English subtitles please write us!).

I give specific links to the presentations:

(... CUT....)
    and there is one more (last of the recorded speaches that we have consent to publish):

Andre Wermelinger's speach (German): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCh-gIYVnNY

bfp, just finished watching your presentation, good job!

it's very gratifying to hear about the cooperation going on. it's something we don't often see or even hear about in the beekeeping world.

best of luck to you and your friends with the fort knox project, i think the concept is brilliant.

so who is the bearded man illustrated on your shirt?

is it true that you road your bicycle all the way from poland to austria for the conference?

and did you draw the cartoons for your presentation slides?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Well I got you right with that little camera, Bartek, my friend!

Square, I already applied to the "Fort Knox" initiative to take me in ( my group) and support me with material for speakings, for example.
    It´s a great approach I hope to spread to others.

At my today`s beekeepers meeting we 5 serious workers realized we do the same but did not give it a name. So why cook our own soup? I would like a nationwide connection. Not to exchange colonies but to exchange ideas.

Since I want to give credit to the founders I want to be a part of this group.

sounds great sibylle!

i would happily put a few of my hives into such a project were it available here.

(i heard you say 'thank you' in the background during norbert's interview, )

i just finished watching your presentation juhani, very interesting!

it is great getting to put a face and a voice with the contributor.

is the reason you decided to use small hives in your program to 'test' the bees' ability to make it through your long cold winters?

you mentioned that the italian package producer found your bees to be exceptional as compared to other stock they were looking at. was it that your bees showed more mite resistance or were there other traits the supplier found desirable?

I have not watched all of them yet but it is on the bucket list. Thanks for highlighting the ones done in english.
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    bfp, just finished watching your presentation, good job!

it's very gratifying to hear about the cooperation going on. it's something we don't often see or even hear about in the beekeeping world.

best of luck to you and your friends with the fort knox project, i think the concept is brilliant.
    thank You

so who is the bearded man illustrated on your shirt?
    it's Charles Darwin. Maybe You can't see that on the film, but he has beard out of comb and bees

is it true that you road your bicycle all the way from poland to austria for the conference?
    yes, that is true, however that was not that great challange. only about 400 km in one direction, so about 800 km altogether

and did you draw the cartoons for your presentation slides?
    no, that drawings, were made by our friend from association "Free Bees" - Mariusz Uchman, who prepared the graphical part of the presentation as well. (and he did Darwin too)

Any chance the Darwin bee shirts could become more widely available?

Quote Originally Posted by lharder View Post
    Any chance the Darwin bee shirts could become more widely available?
    to tell the truth we haven't thought about that. They were made for association members....

i just finished watching your presentation juhani, very interesting!

it is great getting to put a face and a voice with the contributor.

is the reason you decided to use small hives in your program to 'test' the bees' ability to make it through your long cold winters?

you mentioned that the italian package producer found your bees to be exceptional as compared to other stock they were looking at. was it that your bees showed more mite resistance or were there other traits the supplier found desirable?
    Ok, thanks. I will never look the video myself.

The 70 small hives were the only ones left totally untreated in the beginning (2001-2006). The idea was to get instant results with less money lost.

The large normal hives were going through the treatment diminishing program 2001-2008. Large hives have been without treatments after 2008. I wanted to give the bees time to adjust, but on the other hand I wanted to get instant results with bond. So I made a compromise.

Yes, Luca Consigli found out that my stock was the most resistant stock he had tested. Central Europe is very densely populated and he looked at the behavior of the bees too. Some of the bee material he tested was just way too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by BeesFromPoland View Post
    to tell the truth we haven't thought about that. They were made for association members....
    I have one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    I have one too.
    ...Yea... we made some for the gifts too

another conference in europe coming up later this summer:

https://www.naturalbeekeepingtrust.org/conference

There is something happening in europe.
    The nether land conference is more international.
    I would have loved to hear T. Seeley, but no this time I can´t take part.

Some actions done in germany are very interesting.
    People do not care much about insects since they are no pets or not to be eaten. This must change.
    Agriculture must be aware of the importance of pollination insects too since they are a part of the ecosystem.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/ser...a-1207703.html

>>>The loss of biodiversity, especially of pollinators, has alarmed Europe.
    In Hanover, a supermarket has taken a re-announced action and removed 60% of the products from the shelves.
    All products that need bees or wild insects to exist.

As Mr. Nagel puts it:

The shelves are fullest with wine, beer and spirits - because wine and hops pollinate themselves. "We can still get drunk in the future, but otherwise things will get tight," says Stefan Nagel, CEO of Rewe.<<<

Quote Originally Posted by SiWolKe View Post
    There is something happening in europe. The nether land conference is more international.

People do not care much about insects since they are no pets or not to be eaten. This must change.
    In Finland one step has been taken: after a legislation change it is now legal to produce insects for human consumption. For instance pig farming has been in economical crisis for years and now many of them have sold their pigs and started to grow crickets. Products, made like meat, are already in our shops. Some beekeepers have started to produce drone larvae, they are sold (frozen) to top restaurants, with top prices.
    This has been a lot in the news, the attitude towards insect food, and I hope the awareness of the importance of insects in general, has changed.

Hi Juhani,
    can you post some links to the news, magazines or newspapers? This is interesting. No matter if another language.

I am invited to take part in a project at my small hometown to give courses on different topics.

I will offer the building of wild bees nesting places. I hope this will change the townspeople to not using pesticides in their home gardens and change the plantings to more natural habitats.
    Garden design goes to stone and grasses with sealed ground and I want them to go back to flowers and open ground.

Following might be a speaking about honey bees and environment and the importance of pollinators.

This about insects as food could be a topic too.

Headlines in English:
    "Restaurant is making hamburgers out of drone larvae - the test group of the Finnish Broadcasting Company (YLE) tried the latest product of the insect food boom"

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10053752

"Crikets are now sold in retail to restaurants- We must start the change in the western world and show the way to future"

http://www.maaseuduntulevaisuus.fi/r...kkeli-1.223706

"A Finnish company wants to solve the world famine with the help of insect food"

https://www.mtv.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/a...828#gs.mvxhP_w

Companies producing insect food or the machinery:
    https://www.entis.fi/new-index/
    https://www.entocube.com/yleis/
    https://www.samufoods.com/horeca
    https://www.ruohonjuuri.fi/ruoka/hyonteisruoka
    https://www.hyvinvoinnin.fi/collections/hyonteisruoka

Recepies for cooking:
    https://www.k-ruoka.fi/artikkelit/k-kaupassa/sirkat

Thanks Juhani!

Sorry about the off topic.
    I found avery good interview about insects.
    http://www.wn.de/Muenster/2017/04/27...r-keine-Raupen
    It is said that 2018 they want to permit import but check first what they want to import. Not to set free something like varroa?? good. There must be a market now starting this.
    They want to check about how and what food the insect need, they do not want to use corn, rather greens ( waste would be fine).

It´s good people change their attitude with respect to insects. I must try to find out if wax moth larvae and SHB larvae can be fried. SHB when it arrives.
    I already tasted insects in thailand and it was a good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    ..... Some beekeepers have started to produce drone larvae, they are sold (frozen) to top restaurants, with top prices.
    This has been a lot in the news, the attitude towards insect food, and I hope the awareness of the importance of insects in general, has changed.
    Not long ago I have spoken about harvesting drone larva for food and was called a troll (by the TF folks too, of all people).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast