North Carolina

Thread: North Carolina

Default North Carolina

Caught 7 swarms total this week. 5 were from my colonies. I watched 2 swarm from my boxes and followed them into the swamp. There was another swarm hanging in a tree nearby. By the time I got woodware ready for 3 swarms the 2 from my colonies came together. I had to make a pallet bridge to reach them. They had combined into 1 swarm at this point about 10 feet off the ground. I got the biggest swarm ever. They filled a 10 frame deep so they got a second box, wow!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Whoops, 28401 about 1030am Wilmington. For some reason I cant edit my previous post.

Got a swarm call in the 28409 area. Late afternoon took the ladder, a 2inch pvc pipe taped to a 5 gallon bucket and a 10 frame deep. I jarred the limb with the pvc pipe and in the bucket they went and dumped the bucket into the box. Got the queen right off the bat and into the box went the rest of the girls. Took about 30 minutes total. Swarm came from a front porch column. Owner will call me when they replace/repair column in the near future to get the colony inside.

Anybody know when to look for swarms in Western North Carolina? I'm in the Asheville area.

Had a huge swarm appear about 45 feet up in a tree near my bee yard in the 28401 area. Time was about 9AM. I can't get close to them since they are in the swamp. I recovered a swarm in the same area awhile back that was lower and closer to solid ground. I paid for it dearly as I was covered from the neck down in chiggers the next day. I put out 2 swarm traps to possibly lure them in.