Age Old Question, What to Do with All this Honey! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Age Old Question, What to Do with All this Honey!

That’s a problem I wish I had. Lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

A few ideas that I've thought of, should I ever get into the position of too much honey:

1. Make mead. Drink mead. Forget about life for a while.
    2. Contact your local craft brewery. Many would be happy to buy your honey in-bulk.
    3. Make mead. Drink mead. Forget about life for a while.
    4. "Honour-system" road-side stand (assuming its legal in your area). Someone had a nice post on this a BS a week or two ago.
    5. Make mead, distil mead, drink the "mead", forget about life for a good long time.
    6. Sell on kijiji/facebook market/craigslist/etc
    7. Make mead. Drink mead. Forget about life for a while.

For the record, the odd-numbered ones are my plan, the even-numbered ones are SWIMBO's plan...

The roadside honour stand sells most of our honey but before I think of doing more my wife decreed that I had better get a motor on the extractor! Presently she is the power supply but rolling brownouts are predicted!
    Frank

Contact your local garden center or boutique store and see if they will buy it by the case. You get less profit, but you are also not sitting at the farmer's market on the weekend to try and sell it. If you have a well designed label, they will sell through the 50-100# without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rick54 View Post
    Michigan Mike, I'm wondering with all the micro breweries going up these days, could a brewery use honey as a sweetener? The next question would be how much the average micro brewery would use for one batch of beer? Not being a micro brewer myself, I couldn't say if they'd use two 60# cans or ten per batch of beer. Still, a micro brewery might be a potential source for unloading some 60's.
    Yes, craft beer with honey is not unusual. Hoppy beers have a tendency to be quite bitter, and as sweeteners go, honey comes across as natural and maybe serving some flavor purpose other than just sweetening. Usually the honey will be "local" in some way.

For example, the brewery in my neighborhood makes this one. They do not make a beer with plain table sugar.

I don't know how much honey is used, but I'm guessing it's a very small percentage of all honey sold. That being said, if you only have, say, 200 pounds to sell, and propose this idea to your local microbrewery, it's probably 50/50 they'd go for it, especially if there's something about your honey that would help them market the beer -- organic, monofloral, raw, local, whatever.

Also, craft beer costs a lot more than its ingredients, so they're likely to be price insensitive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12