NeverWet Ant Barrier cheap and easy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NeverWet Ant Barrier cheap and easy

Last year I used these things in this thread but I've decided to go another direction this year.
    I'm using our old swing set monkey bars that has room for 4 or 5 hives as a stand, therefore I only need 4 barriers.
    Here's what you need...

NeverWet
    20180403_181134.jpg
    4 cake pans or pie tins. Don't get non-stick.
    4 4x4x4 blocks of wood.
    4 screws
    and a place to apply the NeverWet.

I put a hole in the center of the pans so I could hang the pans to spray them and drive a screw through to mount them.
    mount the pans on a board/cardbord or something.
    20180403_181045.jpg
    spray them with NeverWet
    20180407_132659.jpg
    screw them to the blocks
    20180407_133914.jpg
    and place one under each corner
    20180407_134315.jpg

Started April Fools Day 2017

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: NeverWet Ant Barrier cheap and easy

Caught a swam and didn't have room on the existing stand so I setup a quick new one but didn't have the pans or neverwet so I made some temporary ones with stuff we had @ home.

Aluminum pan

4x4x4 blocks

put them together

used some spray grease in place of neverwet

and that's it

we'll see how the grease does. it seemed to stop them on the temp stand legs i setup @ first.
    I'll report back if it works long term.

How long did the NeverWet last? Why have you decided to try something different?

Thanks

it's still working.
    I didn't have any neverwet on hand and I needed to place a newly hived swarm on a new stand.

I just used what I had on hand.

I plan to hit the store and pick up some more pans. I've ordered neverwet on amazon which has gone down to $8.

I'll make the permanent ones next week.

It could just as easily been axle grease but the spray grease is easier.

Neverwet still working. Good to hear. I ordered some today from Amazon. Yea, $8.99. Can't beat that.

Thanks!

both the neverwet and spray grease are still working

RV

That is a great idea. Any other great ideas?

Looking and depending on the spread that might be a great way to help the boss get rid of those extra cookie sheets that are old and never used but still in the cabinet racks as a cheap quick way to do this for this type of hive stand

How much lip do you need to keep the white grease clean? Could you use old cookie sheets so you use 1 per bracket vs two pie pans?

I like the idea of the screw eye the way you used it. Those can be a pain depending on which hive tool you have esp for me.

I used to run 3 of the Texas Kayak fishing forums and we were all ways rigging and brain storming. It is amazing what you can get from a bunch of people sharing their ideas and building on them. I am cheap like Don the fat bee man.

I can see a spin on this even for how my hive stand is built and braced. You would have to go to below the bottom brace but you could cut a hole to match the dimensions of your wood, slide it on, screw it to the bottom of the brace then seal the gaps between the wood and pan and spray it with the white grease. That is a great idea you came up with.

Jim

the 1st pans were 88 cents each I think. The aluminum ones were 4 for a dollar as I recall.

What is it about Neverwet that ants wont cross?

no idea. neither will SHBs.

the thing you have to look out for with the neverwet / grease/ any barrier is a weed growing and creating a bridge. I pulled a weed this morning that had just grown up tall enough to give them a bridge.

This was what I had just after I moved the boxes off for the split and before I redid the braces on the hive stand and moved the cross braces up several inches higher. The moat I had the legs sitting was a nasty mess.

Needed a little different design to keep the bugs off is why I liked your idea with a twist.

Thanks, Jim

stand1.jpgstand.jpg

I am asking again.Can someone tell me what keeps ants from crossing Neverwet?

I believe it's surface is so smooth, and chemically inactive that the bugs feet won't stick to it.
    Bill

R_v could you explain your hive set up? I see a deep shallow deep shallow then a deep deep shallow and a shallow deep deep ? Just curious

Flip over to his post and look at the bottom pictures. Not sure what the "never wet" does other than repel water. Been too busy at work too look. If you read his second post where he uses aluminum pie pans then he places the pans in place he places "white grease" on the bottom of the pans to keep the bugs from crossing. Many use the high temp red axle grease in related posts. If you read the different posts several people tried to just place the grease around the leg then the area is exposed to wind, dirt, rain and other cr-- that tends to stick in the grease so you are having to clean it up and reapply.

Maybe we can get him to post up his study of what worked best and how long it was effective for the extra cost.

I was wondering if a old cookie sheet might be more stable for the base if you had both feet attached to the same sheet longways and a brace on top of that for the rails to sit on?

In Houston I am looking for a good way to tie my hives down in case we get a hurricane this year. Not sure just a tie down strap is enough in 75+ winds with out some other types of support.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee14me View Post
    R_v could you explain your hive set up? I see a deep shallow deep shallow then a deep deep shallow and a shallow deep deep ? Just curious
    Well... from left to right
    1. a package on medium frames in a deep box, when I came back to move the frames to a medium box I was too late. they had built mediums down to deep in a week so i left it for the season.

2. a nuc started on deep frames,

3. a swarm caught on medium frames,

4. and a second swarm caught on medium frames.

I made use of the equipment I had at the time.
    I',m trying to build up resources. I had a lot of drawn out medium frames from last year so I used them but added new deeps with foundation and have been feeding when they'll take it to fill out the deeps.
    The gray boxes are just covers over the feeder jars.

I'll whittle them all down to a bottom deep and a medium going into winter.

next year should look like the "normal" setup..

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Flip over to his post and look at the bottom pictures. Not sure what the "never wet" does other than repel water. Been too busy at work too look. If you read his second post where he uses aluminum pie pans then he places the pans in place he places "white grease" on the bottom of the pans to keep the bugs from crossing. Many use the high temp red axle grease in related posts. If you read the different posts several people tried to just place the grease around the leg then the area is exposed to wind, dirt, rain and other cr-- that tends to stick in the grease so you are having to clean it up and reapply.

Maybe we can get him to post up his study of what worked best and how long it was effective for the extra cost.

I was wondering if a old cookie sheet might be more stable for the base if you had both feet attached to the same sheet longways and a brace on top of that for the rails to sit on?

In Houston I am looking for a good way to tie my hives down in case we get a hurricane this year. Not sure just a tie down strap is enough in 75+ winds with out some other types of support.
    at the beginning of this thread i have a link to my https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...-Made-in-U-S-A thread about testing the things I bought on ebay with neverwet vs water or oil. rain will displace oil in a moat. the ones with neverwet prevented ants from crossing even if the moat is dry.
    Last edited by R_V; 08-09-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Jeff Willard is where I got the idea to use neverwet
    here's a new video he did about ants
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeKmeV0NzMc

here are his videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWw...PuvRIoAhF4RsjA

He did one not too long ago about the bees cleaning the spray neverwet off of the aluminum.
    I'm seeing the same thing but with ants that are working on it to try and make a path. They smell the hive goodness above and want it bad.
    His solution was to buy the industrial neverwet.

I've decided to make extra shims and swap them out every couple of months and re-paint the old ones.
    Same with these ant barriers.
    Last edited by R_V; 08-11-2018 at 10:36 AM.

you can see where something, I assume ants, maybe lizards, has been working the edge near the wood.

there were also a few spiderwebs under the pan.

RV I was looking at the utube of the gentleman you were talking about.

Did he happen to mention if you could just paint the never wet on a 2-4 inch wide strip of the metal and wrap it around the legs of a wooden hive stand and it would keep critters out? If so how long did he say it would work out in the weather before it cruded up?

I don't think I've seen one but I can tell you that weather can muk it up.
    2 of the 1st things from ebay eventually (3 months or so) got dirt on the underside from rain hitting the dirt and it splashing up under the caps. I just swapped out "things" because I had extra.
    That winter I covered the bare dirt with cement pavers so it's no longer a problem.

I would think you could paint the wood directly as long as it's protected from the elements.

I sprayed the white grease directly high up on the legs of a temporary stand and it stopped the ants for a couple of weeks even when it was exposed to the elements. I don't think it would have lasted much longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast