Cel towers and bees

Default Cel towers and bees

Is there any data on the effect of microwaves on the normal behavior/orientation of our bees. One is being proposed near my apiary.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cel towers and bees

Nothing but conspiracy theories from what I understand. I have a beeyard within a 1/8 of a mile of a tower they do great.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

I can see our tower.Probably 1/4 mile and it hasnt bothered my bees.

I have a bee yard about a hundred feet from one. It does fine and the bees born with a 7th leg pack in more pollen.

Right under the tower would be even better. It has a nice gravel pad and an excellent bear fence with locking gate.

Seriously: I've had them there for 4 years and they do just as well as my other bees...
    ~25 hives, 8 frame-medium; pacific coast; zone 8b; long, cool, wet winter; mild summer; 90" avg. rainfall

They don't use microwave frequencies only radio frequencies

Quote Originally Posted by Jayssweeps View Post
    They don't use microwave frequencies only radio frequencies
    Unlike radar sweeps - if you live close to an airfield as I do. But, no problems from those either ...
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Honeybees are pretty capable little bugs. Tougher than the media would like us to think.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

"They don't use microwave frequencies only radio frequencies"

Technically not true. ATT uses microwave carrier between towers instead of traditional ground based carrier. If you look at an ATT tower it will have two small dishes not much bigger than a DirecTV dish on it. They are pointed in the direction of the two other towers it communicates with.

Cell Communication is only radio frequencies and has no effect on bees but wreaks havoc on conspiracy theorists.

Bees use the sun for navigation, far from the UHF, VHF bands
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

FWIW, I can see a cell tower about a mile away, have a 100' tower behind my barn for Internet (Radio) and also antenna for County Volunteer FD's on it. Beeyard is about 1,000 feet away. Bees have been happy and well oriented for over ten years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    "They don't use microwave frequencies only radio frequencies"

Technically not true. ATT uses microwave carrier between towers instead of traditional ground based carrier. If you look at an ATT tower it will have two small dishes not much bigger than a DirecTV dish on it. They are pointed in the direction of the two other towers it communicates with.

Cell Communication is only radio frequencies and has no effect on bees but wreaks havoc on conspiracy theorists.
    Microwaves *are* RF waves, in the range of 1GHz to 100GHz. Many cell phones operate at frequencies above 1GHz and therefore are in the microwave range. My cell phone is capable of operating at 800MHz, 1.7GHz, 1.9GHz and 2.1GHz. Any cell phones operating in the PCS or AWS bands are using microwave frequencies.

Bees' antennas are not designed to receive microwave or any other RF signals and the bees therefore remain oblivious to them and are not affected.

As a former military radar technician with much practical experience working with microwave transmitters, I can say with some certainty that an AN/MPQ-4 Counterbattery Radar located in an indoor bay, with the reflector up and aimed at a [closed] metal garage door will, when the transmitter is energized, turn said room into a giant microwave oven with sufficient power to induce noticeable effects on human brains. However, the relatively low power of cell signals are quite unlikely to induce any effects in any creature more than a few inches away.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b